• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Katahdin/Hamlin

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
Most of the trails opened on Katahdin so I decided to head up June 5th for the first time this season. I hiked from Roaring Brook up Dudley, across Knife Edge to summit, over to Hamlin, and down Hamlin Ridge. Weather was warm and mostly clear although a little upslope clouds obscured visiblility on Knife Edge and summit. Bugs were not too bad although there were a few black flys at all elevations if you stopped too long. Surprisingly the trail was in good shape. Hardly any mud. There was a few patches of snow that had to be crossed but they were only a few feet and no real obstacle. It was my first time to Hamlin in 4 years. I strongly recommend the trip over there. I didn't see a soul once I passed the Cathederal Trail. The extensive view above treeline are impressive as you approach Hamlin.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Looks awesome. I'm itching to go hiking too. Might end up locally at some day trips. Dunno if I'll actually get backpacking this summer.

bigbog

Nice TR Tom...yeah, rain has been spread out somewhat "normally" this spring...unlike in some other years. Don't think water levels will be down in the heat of summer like many summers either = nice.

Angus

never done Hamlin. Last year had plans but cut off after going up dudley and across knifeedge due to weather...when descending, does that hamlin trail bring you right back to the pond/lean-toos?