• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 11/24/2007

danny p

Date(s) Skied: 11/24/2007

Resort or Ski Area: Killington

Conditions: Packed Powder

Trip Report: Good day on the hill. Skied from 8:00 until 1:15. Once again, impressed by customer service and overall operation of the mountain. Crowds were down again, or if not, well spaced out. It seemed that most of the skiers/riders on the mountain were intermediate/advanced. The lifties and pass scanners were polite and talkative again. There were a ton of ambassadors out on the hill. They had one or two at each of the really bad (dangerous) trail merges with proper fencing ,etc. This made the merges so much better than the previous years (which was every skier for themselves). Powdr did a good job of resurfacing (looked like a 2-3 inch help from mother nature) and grooming. The courduroy/man-made granular-"powder" held up most of the day, but towards lunch time it was getting really scraped down (sides of the trails had 4-6" of scraped off manmade powder/granular). The only time I waited in line for a lift was for the gondola at 8:00. Every other time I rode right up to the lift after having my pass scanned. Did more laps than I can count on the north ridge triple and the snowdon quad. Personal highlights for me included much better performance than last time (feel like I'm back where I left off last season) and learned a couple new lip tricks on the oil can hip in the park. I cannot stress how sweet that obstacle is, and I am the farthest thing from a park rat. Hope K keeps that around. Powdr is doing a good job of creating good conditions and making the mountain feel a lot more safe to ski on a typical nightmare holiday ski day. A couple of pics (nothing special but better than nothing) taken from the snowdon triple about 8:45ish (I think):

DSC00942.JPG

DSC00941startof1124.JPG

JimG.

Staff member
That looks really good.

The snow is what counts. And the service seems to be improved.

Never made it up there this weekend. Looking at next Friday now.

danny p

That looks really good.

The snow is what counts. And the service seems to be improved.

Never made it up there this weekend. Looking at next Friday now.

yeah, you should go up and get some. today they are advertising T2B superstar! I was trying to keep an eye out for anyone that looked like your avatar this weekend. Let me know if you decide to go up Friday, I might be up there, the addiction is full-blown after this weekend!

SkiDork

good call...forgot that I took out the camera on that chair instead of the slowdon. good eyes.

The first one is the dead giveaway, seeing the K base in the background and East Fall... The other 2 I might have overlooked

Geoff

I'd add some further information about Saturday....

The places to be were Cascade and Superstar-to-Skyelark. It was single digits overnight and they blew talcum powder whales top to bottom on Cascade. The guns were blasting all day and it really didn't bump up since it filled in as quickly as it was skied. I got on it at 8:00 and did laps until 10:30. For a non-powder day, it's probably the best I've ever seen Cascade. Even better, the mountain wasn't particularly crowded and most people weren't in any kind of condition to ski more than a hand-full of runs.

Thursday, everything was soft in the warm weather. East Fall and Superstar headwall to Skyelark was probably the best terrain. Friday and Sunday, East Fall was excellent with fresh manmade snow. I also skied Highline and Superstar top to bottom on Sunday but it had warmed up and the guns were pretty wet.