• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 11/27/05

loafer89

We started out the day again today very early taking our first run at 8:30am down Header. Some snow had been made on it overnight and it was left ungroomed and skied like glue in spots.

I put my son in a private lesson and then proceeded to ski with my friend who came up for the weekend. The snow today was not in as good a condition as yesterday and this was obvious from the start with a quick run down Caper to the K-1 gondola. Caper was a icy, chunky unpleasant experience unlike the last two days.

Our first run on the peak was down Escapade which had good cover except for the headwall which I did not ski to save my bases. We found ourselves on the lower part of Cascade that had large man-made wet cement moguls that made for easy turns.

We skied Rime which was okay, but icy in spots to East Fall which was gromed flat and had nearly unedgable ice and was more of a controlled sliding sideways than skiing.

West Glade/Ridge Run was nice but had very thin cover. Reason was slick with only a little loose powder snow in spots. Highline was icy down the middle, but had nice powder bumps on skiers right.

Vagabond had decent cover and small bumps, but there was a semi-frozen stream at the bottom junction with North Star.

Today was a much warmer day and I was actually warm at the end of the day at 1:30 with the base temperature of 30F. Killington has thin cover on a vast majority of it's open trails and rain and warm weather will really hurt them :cry: .

Killington seemed to put less effort into preparing/grooming alot of the trails today, perhaps they know they will lose some of the snow????

The drive home was good until exit 28 on I-91 in Mass, there was a 6 mile (1 hour) delay to merge into one lane through some road construction :angry: :angry: :angry:

I am now tired and sore after three days of hard skiing, but I had a great time.

loafer89

The up side of the trip was great snow conditions for November and Natural snow trails to ski on. The MAJOR downside is that a vast majority of the staff at Killington do not know what the @#$%&%& they are doing.

My son was in a private lesson on saturday and the ski school did not know how to use their computer system to find instructors and book a lesson, which made for alot of wasted time.

My son had a 3 hour private on saturday and when I called to rebook for sunday from my hotel:

1) I was kept on hold for at least 15 minutes :angry:

2) The guy on the phone did not know how to request a specific instructor and told me they had PLENTY of instructors available and to book a lesson in the morning.

3) When I went to book a lesson on sunday, I was told that there were NO instructors available. I made a real fuss about this and I managed to get a one hour private lesson.

4) While I was waiting for the instructor, my son's instructor came out of the Rams Head lodge and asked who we had a lesson with and for how long. She was available for the whole day and had been screwed out of making money quite a few times this year because their computer system sucks.

We managed to get a 2 hour private lesson with her and Warren is now starting to ski parallel :D , but the experience with booking a lesson really steamed my clams.

They Really need to train there staff better and not wait until they have lots of paying customers around. $80 an hour for a lesson is not exactly cheap.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The lack of traffic jams...ahhhhhh...I love being back in VT! :beer: I was watching all of those Mass Cars heading south on 89 yesterday and thinking, "well, it's going to be a mess in Manchester and further down on 93." :roll: I really hated that about living down there...

loafer89

Actually the ride home was great with the exception of the construction on I-91 in Massachusetts. I made great time on I-91 south through Connecticut and I-95 moved along with no delay.

I was really suprised at how uncowded the lift lines were at Killington, they had excess lift capacity for sure, but the trails did become crowded.

FRITOLAYGUY

Okemo's trails became real crowded in the early afternoon, i saw plenty of collisions, one young girl about 15 fractured her hip on lower world cup.