• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington 2/18

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Date(s) Skied: February 18, 2006

Resort or Ski Area: Killington
Conditions: PP/MG/Boilerplate/COLD

Trip Report:

Yesterday had to be one of the coldest days yet this season. Wasn't coldest with regards to temps, but with the wind blowing it was COLD. Day started out with a report of 10 degrees at the base, but it got colder throughout the day. Last week we did Cannon where the temp was -10 at the peak most of the day and it didn't feel this bad.

Anyway enough about the cold. Conditions were mixed, but better then I expected taking into conideration the previous days winds, snow was blown off some trails. We started out doing Caper from Ramshead over to KBL, not bad some ice, but for the most part pretty good. Next was North Ridge(Glades area) few runs on Rime which was nicely groomed packed powder. Then down Lower East fall, this was a bit scraped off already but edgeable. After this we went over to Bear where we did a few runs on Outer Limits, run of the day. Nice mounds of freshly blown snow. Guess the temps are perfect for making snow, because this wasn't your heavy wet variety of blown snow, it was nice hard granular snow, real pleasure. Then we tried Wildfire, very disappointing, no bumps and icy. Went over to Superstar, bit icey but doable.

Did lunch, came back out found it got colder, did two runs and called it a day by 1:30. Taking the Snowdon Triple up we saw that the Chute was nothing but ice on skiers right. Anyway it was one day at Killington, normally we stay for the weekend. But this week was a blackout on my silver All for One pass and I couldn't see paying to ski these conditions on Sunday. So left last night, this morning I'm home at my PC typing this report. A week and a half to Utah woot woot!! Oh, did I say how COLD it was!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
billski said:
was it cold? ;)

bring ice skates?

you're heading the right direction :)

Actually a few times me and my wife were saying how ice skates may have been a good idea :) Like I said, morning was bad enough, but it just got progressively worst. The best area was Bear since it is at a lower elevation, gets more sun early in the day and is usually more shielded from the wind.

tirolerpeter

Cold, Ice, Boilerplate, etc....

andyzee said:
billski said:
was it cold? ;)

bring ice skates?

you're heading the right direction :)

Actually a few times me and my wife were saying how ice skates may have been a good idea :) Like I said, morning was bad enough, but it just got progressively worst. The best area was Bear since it is at a lower elevation, gets more sun early in the day and is usually more shielded from the wind.

Reports and comments like this is why I just have to go west. Seven days to take-off!

tirolerpeter

BeanoNYC said:
Is this your final move Pete? Or is it just a ski trip?

This is just for three days of skiing. My friends liked our January trip so much they wanted to go back. They unfortunately have business committments so we can only ski three days. I'm prepping my house to put it on the market on Apr 1st. As soon as it sells, we are moving west. We will rent for 6 months to a year to make sure we really like it, and then will buy or build. We hope to be there in time for the 06/07 season. Anybody interested in a 4BR, 4 full bathrooms, house on half an acre in Smithown?