• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

M.S. Vermont, Feb 5, 2014

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
So who got these tracks? Sure wasn't a paying customer!

Switch and bait.

And by the way, please don't tell me you can't do anything with 4" of snow like these boys did.

Looks like it was loaded early enough on the 5th that it got over a thousand views that day. The caption sure makes it sound like this is what to expect. More like "Take a good look cause you sure ain't getting any!"

Anyway, Billski hope you're skiing it off. Just call me a lazy slack ass cause I'm not out there today so I'm just gonna watch that video over and over like it says to.

lerops

They did mention the fact that the NSAA show was in town on their snow reports earlier this week

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Did they say NSAA owned the slopes pre-opening?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
You have to dig through the NSSA program to find out about the 8am -10:30 am first tracks access. Not something a customer is apt to do.

This thread all started with some remarks I made about the place being beat up at opening time. The tenor is now feeling a lot like the Qurke mounqain controversy. The high road would be simply acknowledge a management mistake had been made, apologize and make a commitment to manage this better the next time an event such as this occurs.

A rather simple solution would be to rope off certain trails, or, rope in the "first trackers", rather than give them free run of the place. I suspect that Mt. Snow management never expected that so many people could entirely trash the slopes in an hour. I am certain from a planning point of view, doing this on a weekday was a reasonable choice to make. However the operational operation was mismanaged. Simple as that.

I am a big, enthusiastic advocate of all ski areas and wish them all the best in longevity. However, I will still call out a disappointment, which was what it was for me. We all make mistakes. Acknowledge, apologize and move on.

drjeff

You have to dig through the NSSA program to find out about the 8am -10:30 am first tracks access. Not something a customer is apt to do.

This thread all started with some remarks I made about the place being beat up at opening time. The tenor is now feeling a lot like the Qurke mounqain controversy. The high road would be simply acknowledge a management mistake had been made, apologize and make a commitment to manage this better the next time an event such as this occurs.

A rather simple solution would be to rope off certain trails, or, rope in the "first trackers", rather than give them free run of the place. I suspect that Mt. Snow management never expected that so many people could entirely trash the slopes in an hour. I am certain from a planning point of view, doing this on a weekday was a reasonable choice to make. However the operational operation was mismanaged. Simple as that.

I am a big, enthusiastic advocate of all ski areas and wish them all the best in longevity. However, I will still call out a disappointment, which was what it was for me. We all make mistakes. Acknowledge, apologize and move on.

And I'm sure that for next years NSAA East show, the host mountain, will be sure to contact mother nature the 6+ months in advance that the show itinerary is set and ensure that it won't snow on that day that they pre-plan a first tracks session :rolleyes:

And talking with someone who was part of the "screw Billski out of fresh tracks in 5" of fresh" conspiracy this morning. The 1st Bubble full of industry folks went up just before 7:50, there were just over 100 people in the first tracks session, and realistically, from a good source, if anyone, industry or not was there early, and wasn't giving the lifties an attitude, they would of been let on the Bluebird to join the industry folks, since they like to talk with the general public quite a bunch!

Plus, I now have some solid leads as to Mount Snow's improvement ideas for next season too now :)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
And I'm sure that for next years NSAA East show, the host mountain, will be sure to contact mother nature the 6+ months in advance that the show itinerary is set and ensure that it won't snow on that day that they pre-plan a first tracks session :rolleyes:
Hmm. I guess you didn't read my last comment. I indicated that the long-term plan was entirely reasonable at the time, but that a better short-term (operational) decision could have been made.

The 1st Bubble full of industry folks went up just before 7:50, there were just over 100 people in the first tracks session, and realistically,
Wow, It didn't take many people to track out the entire mountain eh?

and realistically, from a good source, if anyone, industry or not was there early, and wasn't giving the lifties an attitude, they would of been let on the Bluebird to join the industry folks, since they like to talk with the general public quite a bunch!

Everyone I saw, myself included were waiting around in the lodge waiting for 9am to come. Nobody announced such an offering that you suggested.

And talking with someone who was part of the "screw Billski out of fresh tracks in 5" of fresh"

Now where did this conspiracy idea come from? Wasn't mine, but I can see how you believe I was the only one miffed by this. Conspiracy or not, nobody has yet to step forth and acknowledge it was an issue. It would have been more educational for you to talk to the paying public rather than to joke about it with corporate insiders.

I'm really surprised you are continuing this dialogue. I was more than happy to leave it at expressing my disappointment. However, as long as Herr Doktor cares to, I'm happy to continue.

Madroch

Hit the bb at 9:15- found everything tracked out- wondered what the hell happened- now I know.

Otherwise- any day with fresh is good, and this was good. Heavy bit workable.

vcunning

Just an opinion . . . the NSAA is actually a paying customer too. There is quite a bit of food, beverage, lodging and meeting space that Mount Snow would not enjoy normally during the mid-week. The difference might be that everyone under the NSAA umbrella sees this as the one time they can rip it up, because their day jobs don't really give them the opportunity.

But NSAA is also a customer.

Riverskier

This is incredibly cut and dry, and (sorry Mt snow homers) Billski is right here. Mt. Snow can do whatever they want with their mountain, including letting large private groups carve up the mountain prior to opening to the public. However, that fact should absolutely be made clear in their mountain report the day prior and the day of any such special arrangements, at the very least. Without notification, the natural and appropriate assumption from the paying public is that the trails would just see the normal patrol traffic prior to opening for that day. Of course for most this is more important on a powder day, but this is no less true on a groomer day from both a techincal and practical standpoint. Along those lines, I would certainly be much more disapointed to find the mountain tracked out on a powder day, but fresh cord is pretty fun too and should be expected at opening bell.

Riverskier

Just an opinion . . . the NSAA is actually a paying customer too. There is quite a bit of food, beverage, lodging and meeting space that Mount Snow would not enjoy normally during the mid-week. The difference might be that everyone under the NSAA umbrella sees this as the one time they can rip it up, because their day jobs don't really give them the opportunity.

But NSAA is also a customer.

Not sure the context of your comments, but I am not sure anyone is saying that the NSAA members are not paying customers per say. However, they received a benefit other paying customers did not. If Mt Snow decided to open early that day for all "paying customers" in honor of the NSAA convention, I am not sure there would be any debate here. The "paying customers" from the NSAA received a benefit other paying customers did not, and therein lies the problem (depending on your perspective). If Mt Snow had made that distinction clear, the "other paying customers" could have/should have been able to take that fact into consideration in determining where they would have skied that day.

Newpylong

I disagree. Calling them out on it is appropriate. A little focus on the paying public on a pow day keeps the customers. Read back on my pow day TR's,you'll find this is the first time I've had issues, large or small ski operations.

You went to Mount Snow on a powder day and expected Magic. Enough said...

Not defending the mountain, sounds like a d*ck move on their part - just not where I would have gone. You never know what will happen at a big mountain...