• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mammoth, CA Dec. 6th-8th

CjS

Website
www.cj-stout.com
Date(s) Skied: December 6th, 7th, 8th

Resort or Ski Area: Mammoth Mountain, CA - We stayed at a condo that we got through www.mammoth-condo-rentals.com

Conditions: 20-24" of powder in 2 days

Trip Report: Awesome :)

Ive never been on a "big" mountain with Mohawk/Sundown/Butternut my only experiences. Needless to say, i was excited so i wanna share even though im still a n00b :) Here we go:

Well i just got back from my trip to Mammoth. At first it was looking pretty grim, only 2-3 trails were open with 8-10" base depth 1 week prior. However, right before leaving there was the hope of some snow hitting the mountain when we got there but not a lot of accumulation was expected (3-6" maybe). We go anyways just for the sake of a fun trip.

7 Hour flight + 6 hour drive later:

First day (Thurs) was really tough at first. Iced up trails with rocks strewn about. Real windy and snowing, forced me to get a facemask. In general the conditions just kinda sucked. The small storm that was expected earlier in the week started hitting around 11am. It's snowing hard and visability is reduced to maybe 10ft ahead. We decide to take lunch since everyone is having trouble seeing and wait out some of the snow. One hour later we head out to take a few laps and see how it is. 6'' of new snow is already down, we couldnt believe it. We take about 6-7 more laps and call it a day. That night we checked the weather and the small "possible" storm has grown a ton and the mountain was looking to get another 12" that night. It was really cool to see the mountain transform from very little snow to TONS of it right infront of my eyes, improving with each run.

Second day (Fri) we wake up and get to the mountain for 8am, half hour before opening. The snow is still dumping by the bucket and visability is still tough. There's already a line at the gondola so we hop in line as well. Right to the top (of what was open) we went to get as much powder as possible. The first 3 runs were like nothing ive ever ridden, 1ft of powder everywhere (more in other places). Bouncing and floating off everything. After a few runs it got rutted up pretty bad at the top so we stuck with the lower mountain terrain which had more open now, including some tree runs that havnt been touched.

Third day (Sat) was the best day. Another 4-6" had come down over night and we're there at 8am again. The snow had stopped, sun came out and the conditions were still powder on powder. We hit everything we could all day. 15 minute lunch then back out. We do laps for the rest of the day until we couldnt move anymore.

All and all it was an awesome trip, worth every cent. Right before going we were considering changing our plans because of the conditions. But like i said before, we went anyway just for the heck of it, and we got really lucky. I only got a couple pics as we left because i didnt wanna risk my camera. Too much powder for me to fall in and get it wet. We were extremely lucky though to get snow to ride on and from what i hear its pretty rare to be on Mammoth during a storm of the likes. All i have to say now that ive been on a real mountain, my usual hills will never be the same. Best time ive ever had snowboarding, period.

Few of the better pics i got:

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

Last edited:

2knees

wow did you time that out nicely. Great pics too, love the last one. sweet panoramic.

Mohawk is gonna be tough for you to go back to now though.

roark

Too busy skiing to take pics then, huh?

Nice trip, I've only been to Mammoth 1x for a couple days, def. need to get back.

CjS

Website
www.cj-stout.com
Ya we were very fortunate. Mohawk will never be the same, but at least i can ride the tough(er) trails they have with no problem now. Some of the stuff i hit at Mammoth i never would have dreamed of doing. Im surprised at how the pics came out too, most of which were taken in a moving car through the window lol. Ill be going back someday, for sure.

@ roark: oh i wanted to take pics, real bad lol. but my camera isnt really that small and i really didnt wanna risk ruining it. 2 of my friends lots their ipods, one because it got wet, the other because he fell on it. next time (and yes there will be a next time) ill take tons of pics.

Last edited: