• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mohawk, C.T January 7th, 2007

loafer89

They say a picture says a thousand words, so this picture should suffice for a conditions report, but if you really need a description, please read below:

Mohawk.jpg

Area skied: Mohawk Mountain Connecticut.

Date skied: January 7th, 2007

Surface conditions: Hardpacked, loose granular, spring conditions, bare spots.

The original plan for today was to ski at Mount Snow, but due the cancellation of winter we wound up at Mohawk instead.
Driving to the ski area we passed through Farmington with the local golf course quite crowded and people kayaking on the Farmington river. It was at this point that I wondered who was more out of touch with the reality of the season.

Arriving at Mohawk was a shock, for I have seen the mountain with MUCH more snow in April. There are only two ways down today, Wildwood and Arrowhead. Arrowhead was our first run and had alot of bare spots about halfway down:

Arrowhead.jpg

Wildwood was generally okay but was reduced to a narrow section near the bottom:

LowerWildwood.jpg

Mooooooo, Mud Season in January:

Mud.jpg

Overall this was quite a sad day for me to see a ski area in such awfull shape in early January. I do not know how much more of this kind of weather the smaller ski areas can endure.

Last edited:

loafer89

Looks like late April... wow this is weird!

It felt alot like april with the temperature at 48F when we started skiing under a sunny sky that felt really hot. The 1-2" of rain forecast tonight and on monday will melt alot of what is left on local slopes.:-x