• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 1/13/2009

Euler

Took a quick trip over to Mt. Snow this afternoon for just a couple hours. Conditions were machine groomed packed powder on most trails that I skied. I had been hoping to sample the bumps again on Overbrook and to enjoy the results of the snowmaking that's happened the past few days on Plummet, but Overbrook was roped off and the entire North Face seemed to be roped off. I thought I overheard someone in the lodge say that the North Face lifts had gone down , but I'm not really sure.

Roller Coaster, Cascade, Long John, and Thanks Walt were all fast and well groomed. Pats Pitch and Uncles were bumpy, icy, and fun.

Bear Trap was getting snow blown on it, but didn't look ready to ski yet...probably could use another 24 hours of gun time at least.

Glenn

Nice update Euler! Sounds like they're in good shape for the long weekend. Too bad we're blacked out. But we'll be up in the area anyways.

drjeff

Took a quick trip over to Mt. Snow this afternoon for just a couple hours. Conditions were machine groomed packed powder on most trails that I skied. I had been hoping to sample the bumps again on Overbrook and to enjoy the results of the snowmaking that's happened the past few days on Plummet, but Overbrook was roped off and the entire North Face seemed to be roped off. I thought I overheard someone in the lodge say that the North Face lifts had gone down , but I'm not really sure.

Roller Coaster, Cascade, Long John, and Thanks Walt were all fast and well groomed. Pats Pitch and Uncles were bumpy, icy, and fun.

Bear Trap was getting snow blown on it, but didn't look ready to ski yet...probably could use another 24 hours of gun time at least.

Just had an update on the Mount Snow passholders website about the Northface yesterday PM. They had a mechanical issue with the challenger triple about 1PM and had to evac about 40 people from the lift (apparently took just under 90 min to get everyone safely off). The lift should be repaired and running for the weekend, with the other lift there (outpost) spinning in the meantime.

MikeW

Ditto Euler-Groomers skiing real nice-Drifter to Choke to Roller Coaster/Illusion. Ledge a little thin, Sundance a bit hard. Got on to Ego Tues-closed for a race Wed. Upper Overbrook with some nice little soft bumps-closed Wed-portable fans in the middle. Lower overbrook well covered. Set up pretty good for the weekend considering not much natural snow recently.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Ditto Euler-Groomers skiing real nice-Drifter to Choke to Roller Coaster/Illusion. Ledge a little thin, Sundance a bit hard. Got on to Ego Tues-closed for a race Wed. Upper Overbrook with some nice little soft bumps-closed Wed-portable fans in the middle. Lower overbrook well covered. Set up pretty good for the weekend considering not much natural snow recently.

Groomers suck, how are the woods skiing?

drjeff

Groomers suck, how are the woods skiing?

Most of the woods I ventured into were pretty good last weekend. A few spots where the fact that there's generally only 12 to maybe 18" of base didn't quite cover all of the underbrush/downed limbs/etc (even with the solid base snow that the couple of thaw/wet cycles over the 1st foot of snow that fell in early December put down), but overall they were pretty good. Main face/Sunbrook tree area's seemed to me atleast to have a little more blow in snow than the Northface tree areas, and also the Northface tree areas seemed to have a bit more of a windpacked layer which actually kind of helped with the base snow/underbrush coverage compared to the Main face/Sunbrook trees

If the storm this weekend stays all snow and puts down 6" + then you'll really be able to talk primo trees IMHO

MikeW

Trees

I was skiing alone so I didn't make it into the trees, but I was tempted-they looked good by Sunbrook. And by the way-groomers don't suck-they are fun-you can't carve big turns in the trees. Trees are fun, bumps are fun, little twisty trails thru the woods are fun-Why limit yourself?
btw- Nice pic of Devils Castle!