• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 1/9/16

medfordmike

The last and only time I skied Mount Snow was in 2003 on my All East Student Killington Pass. So needless to say I am not that familiar with the area but was skiing with a group that had a trip planned there. Weather conditions were a bit challenging. Heavy mist in the morning that did end but poor visibility remained right up until I left around 3. As a result I didn't bother taking pictures.

Snow conditions were good. By the end of the day there were some scratchy places as you might expect. Overall though no complaints on the trail conditions. Lift lines were manageable and almost non existent on the North Face and Ego lifts. The only notable exception was the Bluebird. We used it once and while I know folks seem to love it I don't think the ride up makes the line worth it. So we just avoided it the rest of the time.

There was a wide range of skills in my group. While Mount Snow lacks a lot of steep terrain the wide well groomed trails worked well for the entire group. I left thinking how much it reminds me of Bretton Woods. Refined groomed trails, mellow runs, and good facilities. I can see why so many families ski there though it might be some time before I get a desire to return since it is not an easy day trip. Overall a nice day and worth the ride and the group I was with had a good time. When they get more water next year their already impressive ability to make snow will be something to see.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
There was a wide range of skills in my group. While Mount Snow lacks a lot of steep terrain the wide well groomed trails worked well for the entire group. I left thinking how much it reminds me of Bretton Woods. Refined groomed trails, mellow runs, and good facilities....

Ouch.

I think you got the wrong impression, my friend. To me Mt Snow always skied like Stratton spiced up with Killington-esque variety. When the woods are in play and the naturals are open it's a very diverse mountain. They're not afraid to let things bump up. Ripcord is the steepest trail you'll find south of Killington (minus Magic). Trees are great when they're in play. But the crowds... Main Base is unnavigable from 10-2 on weekends.

To be honest I've skied their more than any other VT mountain. It's the closest big mountain for me and I know the place well enough for a great day trip or weekend. I try to keep myself as unbiased as I can.

medfordmike

Comparing it to Bretton was not meant to be a dig. I actually like the woods at Bretton (the trails less so but I think they do a great job). If it makes you feel better I do like them better at Snow. I don't have kids but my three young nieces are learning this year so I tend to evaluate things in that light this season. :smile:

Bumps and steeps are a ways off for the kids but my sister and brother in law would like Mount Snow because if they get the chance for a few more energetic runs while the kids are in lessons they can still do that. They are looking for a place to grow into if that makes sense and they live in CT so I think Snow makes a lot of sense.

MommaBear

They're not afraid to let things bump up.

Let's be honest here - they are not afraid to groom them out, either. I'm Mount Snow season pass holder and thou I understand the why (usually), it IS frustrating to have moguls I enjoy during a week day disappear on the weekends when my mogul loving husband is able to join me. So much so, he is no longer a Mount Snow pass holder. And Ripcord may be the steepest trail, but unless you've got a great snow year, it is not open all that much. Don't get me wrong - its a great mountain, especially for families - and my kids LOVE the terrain parks on Carinthia (which is why the rest of are still pass holders). And the trees are incredibly awesome when they come in to play.