• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow's most likely opening Saturday!

drjeff

From this AM's snowreport :)

"Our snowmakers have been going at it for 36 hours straight! They have been making snow on Nitro, Titanium, Cascade, Canyon, Long John and the Launch Pad.

I just got word that if the weather holds we will be open on Saturday with top to bottom skiing. So grab your skis and boards, pull out the long johns, make a reservation at the hotel and get up here to experience the best manmade snow in the universe!

It's an absolutely beautiful bluebird day today but the temperatures are on the rise so we're shutting down snowmaking on the lower half of the mountain. By the afternoon we'll be shut down at the summit as well and probably not starting back up until tomorrow night at the earliest on the higher elevations.

The weather for overnight does call for rain, ending in the morning. We're very confident about where we are at considering the amount of snow we've laid down over the past few days. Keep checking back with us for more updates.

-Vinnie"

Just hoping now that mother nature doesn't do anything too stupid in the next 36 or so hours!

jerryg

From this AM's snowreport :)

"Our snowmakers have been going at it for 36 hours straight! They have been making snow on Nitro, Titanium, Cascade, Canyon, Long John and the Launch Pad.

I just got word that if the weather holds we will be open on Saturday with top to bottom skiing. So grab your skis and boards, pull out the long johns, make a reservation at the hotel and get up here to experience the best manmade snow in the universe!

It's an absolutely beautiful bluebird day today but the temperatures are on the rise so we're shutting down snowmaking on the lower half of the mountain. By the afternoon we'll be shut down at the summit as well and probably not starting back up until tomorrow night at the earliest on the higher elevations.

The weather for overnight does call for rain, ending in the morning. We're very confident about where we are at considering the amount of snow we've laid down over the past few days. Keep checking back with us for more updates.

-Vinnie"

Just hoping now that mother nature doesn't do anything too stupid in the next 36 or so hours!

It's refreshing when a mountain puts out an honest report. It's rare that I read a report where the mountain doesn't try to deny or heavy spin a pending NCP event.

Well done to Mount Snow and good luck!

WJenness

It's refreshing when a mountain puts out an honest report. It's rare that I read a report where the mountain doesn't try to deny or heavy spin a pending NCP event.

Well done to Mount Snow and good luck!

While I agree with you, I'm going to guess that the reason they're being honest is that they aren't open yet.

The fact that they aren't spinning lifts right now means telling people it's going to rain wed. night into Thursday costs them 0 visits on Wed. and Thursday...

If they were open, that would probably be a different story.

-w

drjeff

While I agree with you, I'm going to guess that the reason they're being honest is that they aren't open yet.

The fact that they aren't spinning lifts right now means telling people it's going to rain wed. night into Thursday costs them 0 visits on Wed. and Thursday...

If they were open, that would probably be a different story.

-w

I doubt that. The last couple of season's they've been very honest and strightforward with their reporting, and even though nobody likes to read it, the "R" word is in the report when it's in the forcast. This is also why they've gone away from # of trails open as their primary reporting tool, to acres open (as they put it, an acre is an acre, but a trail varies a lot), and why this season they DECREASED the total number of trails on their trail map to acknowledge what we all know in trail counts, that Upper trail X to Middle trail X to Lower trail X skis/rides as 1 trail, not 3!

The degree of openness and honesty in their snowreporting has been great these last few years!

WJenness

I doubt that. The last couple of season's they've been very honest and strightforward with their reporting, and even though nobody likes to read it, the "R" word is in the report when it's in the forcast. This is also why they've gone away from # of trails open as their primary reporting tool, to acres open (as they put it, an acre is an acre, but a trail varies a lot), and why this season they DECREASED the total number of trails on their trail map to acknowledge what we all know in trail counts, that Upper trail X to Middle trail X to Lower trail X skis/rides as 1 trail, not 3!

The degree of openness and honesty in their snowreporting has been great these last few years!

That is great. Go them.

I'm glad I'm wrong...

I gotta admit, when a big 'not snow' storm is coming, I generally shy away from reading mountain reports as it just makes me more bitter and hostile.

-w

shpride

Looks like it got changed to Sunday. From the site....

"I just got word that we are shooting to open on Sunday with top to bottom skiing/riding."

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Looks like it got changed to Sunday. From the site....

"I just got word that we are shooting to open on Sunday with top to bottom skiing/riding."
Yup... Facebook update:
Our plan right now is to open on Sunday with top to bottom skiing for all ability levels. This is all weather permitting of course. Trails we are hoping to open will be Nitro/Titanium, Cascade/Canyon, Long John/Beaver Hill and the Launch Pad.

Riverskier

I have noticed the honesty in Mt Snow's reporting and I think that is great. However, I have to comment on the reporting of acreage over number of open trails. While that MAY paint a more accurate picture of what is open, that reporting method can be deceptive as well. Having a couple of super wide cruisers open could really rack up the acreage and make one believe there is more open terrain than there really is. Why not report acreage, open trails, and maybe miles too? That would really reflect the whole picture. Sunday River does this, so you can take your pick as to what is the most important number, or look at all 3 in conjunction to get a good idea ofhow much terrain is really open.

jerryg

My favorite snow report (from any mountain) reads, "We recieved 6-8 inches of snow before we saw some mixed precip..."

Last edited:

Sotto

My favorite snow report reads, "We recieved 6-8 inches of snow before we saw some mixed precip..."

I've been up here since Sunday and I haven't seen any mixed precip... They have shut down the snowmaking at the summit as a few hours ago, but hopefully mother nature is kind with this r@#n and snowmaking temps will return

Here is a pic from yesterday:
MtSnow12-1.jpg

Sotto

Beaver Hill is going to need some more work before they can get that open:
Beaver_12-2.jpg

I give them alot of credit for getting a few rails setup on launchpad for the snowsports management seminar attendees the jib on:grin:
125976331812-01-09002web.jpg

Glenn

Excellent pics! Thanks for posting those. Looks like a lot more snow vs what we saw when we left the mountain last Saturday evening.

Sotto

no prob ill get some more up later. they had been blowing since sunday when I got here and just shut down a few hours ago. Just wish the had something on TNF and could download the canyon quad, there is a ton of snow up top!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I got this in my email box this afternoon:

You’ve been waiting longer than usual to hear this and we greatly appreciate your patience. Our plan is to open this Sunday with top to bottom skiing for all ability levels. As with anything to this point this is weather permitting.
12-01-09%20062_web.JPG

With one extra day of snowmaking we feel that we can offer the best possible quality conditions. Our hopes are to have three main routes available: Nitro/Titanium, Long John/Beaver Hill and Cascade/Canyon. As well we plan to have the Launch Pad learning area available.

Here’s a little background on how we came up with this strategy. To date we have only had six hours to make snow at the base of the mountain. With rain in the forecast for tomorrow and this combined together it would be impossible to put together what we consider a high quality experience for Saturday. Now Friday and Saturday are looking good for making snow (at least with current forecasts), so we are going to blast the lower section of the mountain to get it up to speed with what we have up top and give you one heck of a high quality opening for those first turns of the season.

And for all you jibbers out there we’ll have a variety of rails and boxes on Nitro and Titanium. Plus I’m sure Gaitor will come up with some other crazy concoction to wet your steel appetite with.

It’s almost here! We know that the anticipation is absolutely eating away at your gut but for safety sake eat something. Then wax your skis/board, watch the new TGR movie and get darn excited to make some turns and grind some rails this weekend!

See you on the hill (or at Cuzzins).

jerryg

My quote was not a Mount Snow report, but rather, a ski report in general. Sorry for the confusion. I will edit the post....

I've been up here since Sunday and I haven't seen any mixed precip... They have shut down the snowmaking at the summit as a few hours ago, but hopefully mother nature is kind with this r@#n and snowmaking temps will return

Here is a pic from yesterday:
MtSnow12-1.jpg

drjeff

I got this in my email box this afternoon:

You’ve been waiting longer than usual to hear this and we greatly appreciate your patience. Our plan is to open this Sunday with top to bottom skiing for all ability levels. As with anything to this point this is weather permitting.
12-01-09%20062_web.JPG

With one extra day of snowmaking we feel that we can offer the best possible quality conditions. Our hopes are to have three main routes available: Nitro/Titanium, Long John/Beaver Hill and Cascade/Canyon. As well we plan to have the Launch Pad learning area available.

Here’s a little background on how we came up with this strategy. To date we have only had six hours to make snow at the base of the mountain. With rain in the forecast for tomorrow and this combined together it would be impossible to put together what we consider a high quality experience for Saturday. Now Friday and Saturday are looking good for making snow (at least with current forecasts), so we are going to blast the lower section of the mountain to get it up to speed with what we have up top and give you one heck of a high quality opening for those first turns of the season.

And for all you jibbers out there we’ll have a variety of rails and boxes on Nitro and Titanium. Plus I’m sure Gaitor will come up with some other crazy concoction to wet your steel appetite with.

It’s almost here! We know that the anticipation is absolutely eating away at your gut but for safety sake eat something. Then wax your skis/board, watch the new TGR movie and get darn excited to make some turns and grind some rails this weekend!

See you on the hill (or at Cuzzins).

BTW, my wife got a call from the ski school at Mount Snow today. There will not be the regular kids programs offered on Sunday

Glenn

no prob ill get some more up later. they had been blowing since sunday when I got here and just shut down a few hours ago. Just wish the had something on TNF and could download the canyon quad, there is a ton of snow up top!

Saturday is my b-day. I wonder if I could donate a 6 pack to get my wife and I snowmobile ride up top for some birthday turns? :lol: