• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Washington 03-10-2007

Mike P.

Date(s) Hiked: March 10, 2007

Trails(s) Hiked: Ammonoosuc Ravine trail, Crawford Path

Total Distance: approx 7.7 RT

Difficulty: Difficult approc, 3800 feet vertical gain

Conditions: Early in AM hard parked snow three of four blowdowns, the first one requiring crawling to get underneath it. By the afternoon, warm snow made trail bare bootable all the way down from just below the hut.

Special Required Equipment: Crampons very useful/esesntial in the AM a couple of hundred feet below LOC hut to the top. Once it got warmer, anti-bots or some type of non-stick coating for crampons essential. After 10-12 times of stopping to free my crampns up from all the snow, i just took them off. Wind proof clothing from 10:00 - 12:00 as some gust were in the mid-40's

Trip Report:

The guys I was to hike with each had to bail out for good reasons. With a deteriorating forecast for late afternnon, I wanted to get an early start so I was on the trail at 7:00 AM. For years I've picked days to hike hoping to do Mt. Washington in the winter but when thoses days came, the weather made the Washington risky at best. Today a front was coming through late but with an early start I had warm temps & winds about average for winter. Out of four other winter hikes this year, by far the warmest. Actually saw one gy in shorts! First people I saw was a group of three guys on the top who had come up Lion's Head. Super day, at least through 2:00 PM.

Last edited:

Mike P.

I'm not a skier & the Side I was one is usually the one that snow is blown from. From what I saw, I'd say no. Coming up from LOC's hut on the west side, there was enough snow to make the walking easier than in summer hopping on all the rocks but (if I skied) I don't think I'd use my own rock skis where I was.

Some Drifts some bare spots, near the Davis Path I had a crampon come off my boot & I was able to find plenty of good footing for the one bare boot. The other side does get more snow & while snowfall through January was very low, they had a decent Feburary & early March. Looking at trailmarkers below treeline, at 3,000 - 3,500 feet they were at waist or hip level. True some years those may be at knee height or even under the snow but compared to January, it's come back some.

If this weeks warmth is any indication, I'd plan your Tuckerman trip soon.