• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My video of the famous Gore-bits Couloir, toughest line in the east

snoseek

Yep, looks like a doozy.

So if theirs a freakish amount of snow will they go ahead and open that up?

Also, not to nitpick but why call that a couloir? it's not...its tough a technical but in no way resembles a proper couloir

MadMadWorld

True, but it would also get 200"+ a year of snow without rain or freeze/thaw conditions.

They do get freeze/thaw more than you think and a lot of these mountains see a lot more hard pack/wind blown than we do. If they don't want to call it a trail fine but just drop the rope when the conditions are ripe. MRG drops the rope on the Birdcage Cliff when the snow is good.

skiNEwhere

I mean look at all the hype it's getting here. If the hype alone makes people want to at least look at it from the bottom, why not make a little profit by selling a few extra lift tickets?

We as east coast skiers are so coddled. That would be an open marked trail out west.

Yes, it most def would

Highway Star

........Seriously???

I mean, that looks like some pretty cool skiing, but no way is that the toughest line in the east. The Little Pico Triple liftline is exactly like that, if not more gnar. Not to mention devil's fiddle. Stowe's waterfall cliff is about twice as big.

skiNEwhere

I thought they blasted the rocks in devils fiddle a few years ago. Can you actually ski the trail under the little pico triple?

deadheadskier

Staff member
........Seriously???

I mean, that looks like some pretty cool skiing, but no way is that the toughest line in the east. The Little Pico Triple liftline is exactly like that, if not more gnar. Not to mention devil's fiddle. Stowe's waterfall cliff is about twice as big.

You've got a point with the Little Pico liftline. DF and Stowe's WF.......not so much. The narrowness of that line at Gore makes it more challenging than DF or WF IMO. I've dropped WF from the top several times. It's 20 feet, maybe 25 feet with a wide landing and no need to check speed after you drop. The only thing difficult about WF is making sure you land right so that you don't compress your knees into your face from the flat landing. DF has got plenty of drops, but also plenty of room for error.

MadMadWorld

It's been a few years but I distinctly remember skiing the Little Pico liftline. I remember it being challenging but it didn't blow me away. I know I had to cut in from A-Slope so it's possible that I didn't ski the whole thing. I do remember a few ledges that you pretty much had to land and without stopping send it off the next one.

St. Jerry

Have skied Little Pico lift line and while it is steep it does not compare to Gore-Bits. Gore-Bits is in a different league.
Have not skied Stowe WF but have seen others do it. More of a compression landing than a technical line.