• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

no go ,on the summit of washington !

C

cptchris

Arrived @ pinkham nocth at 6:30 as planned ,with a lot more cars in the lot than I expected ! Got gear up ,left the snowshoes behind ,signed in at 7:30 and set off up tucks trail. I over packed with extra clothes so my pack was kickin my butt till I reached lions head trail . Put on my crampons donned my ice axe,with the thrill of the climb I forgot about the wieght of my pack soon enough .I broke tree line bout 11:00am to see the summit clouded in and a strong wind !! Very near the top of loinshead my legs felt the strain of my pack again . Cramping muscles around my left knee . But on I went thinking a rest on top of lionshead might take care of the cramps.I had notce the wind getting stronger but when I reached the top of lionshead it became apparent just how stong it was ,50mph gusting to 65mph !! summit still clouded in :cry: . With the wind that strong were I was I figured it had to be 20 to 30mph hihger at the summit ! I was right I fond out later - 65mph gusting to 80mph !!! so I think I made the right chioce turning back there after a few pics of the fine view !!!!! :D into tucks raviene.not being in prime condition .Next time i`m not over packing,lol. Also thought nothing to see at top with the clouds an all .The way down was slow waiting at the side of the trail for 100's of people climbing up ! half of them asking bout conditoins above :-? .Guess i cant blame them though .Well to wrap it up ,goin on and on here ,lol. I'm tryin again wed. march 10 weather permitting ,week day less of a crowd too .Wish me luck !! Good day to all