• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

North South Trail From Rt. 6 Foster RI

montvm

Date(s) Hiked:2/1/07

Trails(s) Hiked:N/S Trail Headed North

Total Distance:?????

Difficulty:Easy

Conditions:Bare ground patches of Ice

Special Required Equipment:none

Trip Report:This trail runs right by my house, as i live on the RI boarder. The total trail run 78 miles, and can be done in 6 sections. I started off from Rt. 6 at a little restaurant called Shady Acres, (which by the way has a good breakfast, all farm fresh dairy's and eggs). I left around 1pm so day light was limited, the first section follows an ATV route, through the woods. The trails where marked very well. There was some junk cars and refridgerators. ect. This trail ran for a while, there where only a couple spots with junk, and then you come across an old shingle mill the remanants of the stone frame and damn. There is a sign that describes that it was started in the early 1900's, (don't remember how long) and then shut down by 1926. Shortly after you come out of the woods and start road walking, (yuck)!. The senery was still nice due to it going through a rual area, but it kills my feet. I walked until i was at the point where i either kept going and someone would have to pick me up, or i had to turn around. I got to where the trail passes killingly pond which is on the right, and enters back into the woods. I tried to call a few people but no was around so i had to turn around.

Map....
NST-5b.jpg

Last edited:

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
cool :)

So how does it feel to live in the shadow of the mighty Jerimoth Hill? :)

That peak is on my hit list, its just a matter of gaining the gumption to drive down to RI just to get on sub 1000 foot peak :)

montvm

cool :)

So how does it feel to live in the shadow of the mighty Jerimoth Hill? :)

That peak is on my hit list, its just a matter of gaining the gumption to drive down to RI just to get on sub 1000 foot peak :)

As a 411, there is a sign off of rt 101 that asks that those who are hiking to the wooded peak to do it on Saturdays and Sundays and there is a certain time limit too, due to the trail running through private property. At leas there nice enough to let people have access to the RI Highest Peak!

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Ya I was told about that by one of my friends, I remember this was not always the case. They used to say "The Highest PT in Rhode Island is the hardest state high point to climb in America"

montvm

Ya I was told about that by one of my friends, I remember this was not always the case. They used to say "The Highest PT in Rhode Island is the hardest state high point to climb in America"

Yeah i think your right. I think at one point the only way you could do it was by driving to the top of 101, but this is not the true high point.

Well when you do decide to do this little hill, let me know i'll meet ya, i still haven't hiked it, and i'm 10 minutes away!