• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Oops- 1,000 point Dow drop

ctenidae

In one of the most gut-wrenching hours in Wall Street history, the Dow plunged almost 1,000 points Thursday, before recovering some, on a technical glitch in the trading of Procter & Gamble stock and fears about the European debt crisis spreading

http://money.cnn.com/2010/05/06/markets/markets_newyork/

My wife was pissed- trading desks and quotes everywhere completely backed up, everything froze.

wa-loaf

I thought some dude typed in billions instead of millions?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yeah. It's selfish of me but when I see red, all I think is "oh boy, the next month's auto stock buys are going to be cheaper... w00t."

But I am selfish. So sue me.

skijay

If you had a buy limit order for 400 shares of PG at $40, do you think it would have gotten filled and do you think the execution (if it happened) would be legitimate or do you think it may be busted?

wintersyndrome

Yeah. It's selfish of me but when I see red, all I think is "oh boy, the next month's auto stock buys are going to be cheaper... w00t."

But I am selfish. So sue me.

It's not selfish to to think strategically, markets are overbought, remember "Buy on the dips"

Benjamin Graham, Warren Buffet and many others agree, you don't create wealth buying at market highs.

Glenn

I blame this on on Greece. And France too...just because.

Oh, and Howard Berg.

read.JPG

roark

If you believe this was the result of someone fat fingering it I'd like you to meet my Nigerian prince friend.

drjeff

I was listening to CNBC yesterday while in my car as this was all playing out - the chaos that was going and all the yelling and screaming back and forth between Maria Bartorommo(?sp) and her crew sounded more like your typical Jerry Springer Show! Sounds like something really funky happened more than just the European economic issues - probably going to end up with a couple of folks from various brokerage houses infront of a senate panel being berrated by the various "I really think i'm important" senators :rolleyes: