• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ordering prints online

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Which company do you prefer using for ordering photo prints online? Why?

I was making photo books the last 2 years for photos, but it's getting expensive and I don't really have the time to be putting them together. It's been a LONG time since I've ordered prints online.

I know I've used Kodak's site for calendars for gifts one Christmas and they were terrible. Colors were off and photos were dark... and nobody responded when I contacted customer service to complain. :angry: I have used snapfish for photo greeting cards at Christmas and they always came out nicely. Mpix is great but pricey.

Anyone want to sell me on a particular company?

drjeff

My wife recently has used snapfish for a real nice photobook for Mother's Day gifts for both our Mom's this year. Would do that again. Also, for a "quicker" photobook, lately we've just been going down to our local CVS pharmacy and using the Kodak Photo kiosk they have there to put the book together. Decent result, although not quite as good a print quality as we got from snapfish

ComeBackMudPuddles

I've had great success with Shutterfly for x-mas cards, mugs and calendars, but I haven't used them for printing pictures. I mostly look at pictures digitally these days.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I have a digital gallery of photos hosted on our own site... but I like to have hard copies of the good stuff, mainly for the kids. So I've been doing the once a year thing where I'll get it all into a book....

I forgot about shutterfly. I think I've used them for photo cards before, too.

Too many photos to mess with a kiosk in a store. Large files and I have thousands to go through from last year.

ctenidae

I read that as "Ordering PINTS online" and figured this was my kind of thread.

We've done the Shutterfly thing for books and calendars quite a bit. Works great.

I know webshots gives a certain number of prints free...or just buy photo paper from staples and print them out yourself..that's what we do at work..for pictures of tombstones for our catalogue..

bvibert

Staff member
I know webshots gives a certain number of prints free...or just buy photo paper from staples and print them out yourself..that's what we do at work..for pictures of tombstones for our catalogue..

We're talking about a photo album's worth of pictures here, not one or two. It's probably more cost effective to have someone else print them if you're doing a lot, I'd imagine. It's certainly a lot less of a PITA (provided you get good results from whoever processes them).

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
My photo printer is pretty much dead anyway. So no self-printing.

I just realized this morning that a good deal of the pics are saved as their original RAW files. D'oh! So now I'll have to reconvert all of those before I take on this project.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
one of the problems of printing RGB file is that the print driver has to convert the RGB CMYK to print. the CMYK colorspace is much smaller than RGB and lose a lot highlights plus certain colors shift. blue has a tendency to go to purple. if you want to no more about proper photo prep google RGB to CMYK and you will find enough info to keep you busy for days.

noski

I put in a large order at Snapfish last night. I got the first 50 prints free.... so my whole order ended up at $6 for over 60 pictures. That deal ends today....