• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

otis ridge 1/16

skiing is life

Temperature: -14 with -23 windchill

Surface: ICE

Hours skied: 3

Usually every friday night my dad picks me and my friends up from school. we go skiing. Usually to berkshire east. trouble is the beast is closing at 5:30 due to "an artic airmass" So we decide we are going to go to blandford. we call the snowline and they say theyre open. we get there 45 minutes later but they are closed. I then suggest otis ridge and my dad wants to see a movie. after 10 minutes of opinions and comments we decided to go to otis ridge which is 10 minutes away.

By the time we get on the slopes its 7 o'clock and COLD. so cold that the friendly staff members in the lodge gave us some bubble fluid and told us to go outside and blow bubbles. they freeze before they hit the ground and they shattered in mid air like glass.

Now otis is small, real small. maybe about 300-400 foot vertical. but it is an awsome mountain. they had an old double chair running that was zippy and took us to the top in under a minute. ah conditions. ice. yeah it was really icey up there. they had done snowmaking on the main trail under the lift and the big snowmaking whales had frozen into ice. me and my friend tim both wiped out a i swore i slipped and slid halfway down the mountain. another thing is the lights. the trails are poorly lit sadly because the great icey in december took out the wires and they cant seem to find the one faulty one.

We skied until closing time and had a blast. no park or pipe. really old classic mountain.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
"Hey, its Otis! Otis loves us!"

Otis Ridge is a classic, old one. Love the place. Haven't been there in years....went once or twice way back in the day. Then, one summer, we rented a place in Otis...and would take some walks up there all the time.

It is, indeed, very welcome to see Otis up, running and keeping it real!