• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pats Peak: Bluebird Spring Day (March 26, 2005

thetrailboss

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: March 26, 2005

Resort or Ski Area: Pats Peak

Conditions: Spring conditions (Corn, soft snow, icy patches, ice bumps on some runs)

Trip Report: We made the trek up to Pats one more time for this season, but I'M glad to say that they willl try to open for the first weekend of April (which Trailboss wrote an e-mail asking that they open :wink: ).

The mountain was pretty slow in the morning...no more racing. A crowd did form for the end of the season BBQ they were holding at the Ski School area and for the famous Pond Skim.

Tornado was probably the run of the day...we hit it about 5 or 6 times and Ms. Trailboss did a fine job on the bumps (one of her first mogul experiences). As the day went, they softened.

I also did one more run down The Peak Liftline to the Hurricane Run and Glade...see my pics. Despite the warmer temps, the glade was still skiable and well covered (though icy in places). Hurricane and Peak Liftline softened a bit...but not quite enough.

As has been the case for this season, Twister was bad--icy, icy, icy :x . We don't know why this has been...conversely, Cyclone was in great shape and has been all season. Duster was soft and had corn snow almost all day! :D

We hit the usual runs...Superglade, Zephyr Glade, the long green off the top...and enjoyed an excellent burger and beer on the deck (The Sled Pub). Trailboss bought a few things from the shop...mostly cleaned out!

I took some great pics for AZ and they are here:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/module...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Do check them out and be sure to try this small gem of a ski area...we've been so happy skiing there this season! Very well run! :) :D

Greg

Staff member
The pitch on the upper mountain of little Pat's Peak is definitely impressive:

The place must ski bigger than it is. Looks like a great day with some nice conditions!

Joshua B

I don't think many would describe Pat's as a place that skis bigger than it its vertical. Fun upper section but a really disappointing runout...on every single run from the top.

Great pics! I love their variety of lifts.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Joshua B said:
I don't think many would describe Pat's as a place that skis bigger than it its vertical. Fun upper section but a really disappointing runout...on every single run from the top.

Great pics! I love their variety of lifts.

Blast on the far skier's right is a good way to avoid that run out.

You can also hit the Vortex Double and avoid a lot of the run out. Is it huge? No. Does it work for us in our current situation and location? Yes.

I'd say it skis bigger than it may seem from the road....friendly place.

57stevey

thetrailboss said:
Tornado was probably the run of the day...we hit it about 5 or 6 times and Ms. Trailboss did a fine job on the bumps (one of her first mogul experiences). As the day went, they softened.

:D

Well, props to Ms. TB then - my kid dragged me down Tornado last week, a bit too tough for old Dad. And yes, I believe they removed all the snow from Twister this year and installed some new sort of porcelain surface. :-? Anyway, sorry we missed you there, TB. The Saturday night deal is great if (as we were) you're bringing beginners who need rentals and/or want to bounce from skis to boards and back.

hammer

Thanks for the trip report, thetrailboss. Nice pictures.

It's great that Pats will try to open next weekend, although with the NCP and warm temps we'll have to see how things hold out... :-?

thetrailboss

Staff member
hammer said:
Thanks for the trip report, thetrailboss. Nice pictures.

It's great that Pats will try to open next weekend, although with the NCP and warm temps we'll have to see how things hold out... :-?

They appear to have plenty of snow according to the webcams: www.patspeak.com/webcam.htm

I'm just :x over the possibility that it will r$%^ on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday making it possible that we might not be able to ski. Period. Keeping my fingers crossed though :wink: