• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Paul Basagoitia First to Land Natural Terrain Double Backflip

AlpineZone News

Skiing News
Website
www.alpinezone.com

GOLETA, Calif., April 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Fulfilling a lifelong dream, professional freeride mountain bike athlete, Paul Basagoitia can now add a natural terrain double backflip to his list of accomplishments. Taking place just outside Page, AZ, Paul has cemented himself in history by raising the bar of freeride mountain biking to the level.

"It felt great when my wheels touch the ground because I don't think my body could have handled another hit," says Basagoitia. "It wasn't easy, I knocked myself out a couple times but I finally accomplished what I've been trying to do for years."

Following in the footsteps of other legendary action sports athletes such as Levi Lavalle and Travis Pastrana, accomplishing a double backflip is a major accomplishment for both the athlete and the progression of any sport.

"The double back flip isn't the most technical trick but it takes a lot of airtime and even more commitment," says Travis Pastrana , professional motosports athlete and extreme sports legend. "Once you leave the take-off, there is no turning back and no way to bail out. Paul has guts and it's great to see that he's pushing the limits."

In celebration of Paul joining the Teva mountain bike team, Paul's sponsors Teva and Red Bull partnered together to support his vision for this project-to put the mountain back into mountain biking.

"There are a lot of kids on mountain bikes doing the same crazy tricks that BMX guys are doing. Let's bring that into the big mountain and showcase what a mountain bike can actually do," says Basagoitia.

Tune in Fuel TV's Action Sports Plus and Teva's Facebook page on Tuesday, May 1st at 11/8p ET/PT for the full story.

For more information on Teva's mountain bike collection of footwear featuring the Links, the Pinner and new styles coming June 2012 visit www.teva.com.