• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pico 3/13/2011

Euler

I had planned a ski get-together with another family at Pico for today, and as the day drew near I didn't have high hopes for conditions. Indeed when we woke up this morning at our friend's home in Rutland, it was raining and my spirits fell. We made some coffee, picked up some donuts, and then called upon the power of the interweb and looked at the webcam at Pico...what was this...there, just 15 minutes away by car it was not raining but snowing!! We drove up and sure enough, halfway to Pico from Rutland the wet roads turned to lightly snow covered roads!

Cut to the chase: about 2" new when we got there at 9:30 and it snowed steadily all day long..probably 2 more inches before we left. The upper 2/3 of the mountain had a nice dry(ish) snow and the bottom 1/3 was the mankiest, wierdest snow I've ever skied on. The whole mountain was fairly well socked in by fog/cloud, but the snow up top made that a secondary concern. Upper Giant Killer was mint, Summit Glades, spectacular. We soon learned to spend as little time as possible on the lower mountain because the snow surface down low was just bizarre...it was snowing, but temps must have been just above freezing, so the surface on the heavily skiied, groomed trails was hard packed yet soft at the same time...I couldn't let my skis ride flat, yet to try to carve a turn was the grabbiest, scariest ski experience I've ever had. The day was amazing, between the unexpected great snow up high and the energy of the four kids under 13 I skied with...just great!:snow:

WoodCore

I was there yesterday and the conditions where very similar! Agree that Upper Giant Killer had the best snow on the hill by far! Regardless love the vibe at Pico! :snow:

xlr8r

heading there tomorrow (3-14) looking forward to it

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Euler - Your report describe closely what I experience at Stowe today, except our bottom have wasn't as grabby. sounds like you could have used some red magic...

Someone do something about the midweek warm spell please! Voodoo lady? Ullr? Winnchill? HELP!

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Skied K today. I would say 4 to 6 inches by 10:30. Not enough to cover up all that hard pack and the trees still need more snow or a warm up.... but still lots of fun. They only called for 1 to 4 inches so it was much better then I thought it was going to be.

Euler

Euler - Your report describe closely what I experience at Stowe today, except our bottom have wasn't as grabby. sounds like you could have used some red magic...

Someone do something about the midweek warm spell please! Voodoo lady? Ullr? Winnchill? HELP!

I picked up a button that will give me a half price discount at Stowe on Friday the 25th...It'll be my first time...any suggestions on trails/areas to look for for a husband and wife team in which the husband is playing around with harder blacks/ moving into double blacks like ripcord at Mt. Snow or Upper GIant Killer at Pico when conditions are good and the wife is looking for screaming fast groomed steeps like Upper Organ grinder at Sugarbush or Fallen TImbersor Plummet at Mt. Snow?

MikeW

Same picture at Mt Snow-about 2" top half of the mountain and the same kind of like hardpack/soft kind of grabby stuff lower down. I kept thinking that my tune was off, or the legs were tired, but it sounds like the same snow!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I picked up a button that will give me a half price discount at Stowe on Friday the 25th...It'll be my first time...any suggestions on trails/areas to look for for a husband and wife team in which the husband is playing around with harder blacks/ moving into double blacks like ripcord at Mt. Snow or Upper GIant Killer at Pico when conditions are good and the wife is looking for screaming fast groomed steeps like Upper Organ grinder at Sugarbush or Fallen TImbersor Plummet at Mt. Snow?

You'd probably like Hayride, Liftline and Nosedive for cruising. If you are interested in something narrower there is Goat and lookout. Many double blacks are relatively narrow.
I'm sure others on this board have their preferences. Much of the steeps right now are bumped up and the groomers are running a bit scratchy. by the 25th things will probably mellow/soften bit.

Swear to God, Crossover (green) was the iciest trail on the mountain. It was totally scraped to the ice.

Stowe is skiing a bit like Jay right now. 2 weeks from now there will be a new world order, for sure.