• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Plattekill - Sunday 1/23/05

goldsbar

I braved the technically closed under state of emergency NJ highways at a little before 7am expecting to be rewarded by an epic day of powder skiing at Plattekill. What I found when I finally hit the slopes at 10am (ouch - long ride) was a mixed bag.

Most of the powder was pretty much tracked out by 10am - very unplattikill like - and the tops of most of the single and double diamond trails were stripped almost down to the dirt by the wind. Hmm, why were people still skiing on this part of the trail when the conditions were plainly visible from the lift? I watched multiple people ski into/over rocks.

No problem I thought - I'll take the woods. Bad idea. Although the snow was well over 2ft deep in some parts, it was totally uncosolidated and I took a couple of base shots. I also managed to ski into a completely hidden log and bang up my knee. No more woods for me that day.

Now for the good part. Once I learned how to link the trails with good conditions together it turned into a really good day. Certainly not epic, but good. Lots of raw, wind compacted powder.

JimG.

Staff member
I was wondering about Plattekill...I gave it thought and then went back to Hunter because I was afraid Plattekill might not have a good base.

Hunter rocked...44 and Clair's were in outstanding shape! Woods similar to what you mention, not ready quite yet.

Powderqueen

that's the way it's been at most places

Since we had a total thaw down to rock and mud the day before the MLK weekend, nearly all resorts in the east are suffering from lack of base, even though we seem to have tons of snow (relative). Since its been so cold since that last melt down, the snow has been very light and fluffy, so it won't stick together, to the surfaces it sits upon. I've heard all kinds of reports about core shots in the last week. We all want to get out to the woods and find the fresh snow, but you must beware...not much base. We all are hitting stuff, and my friend told me that his ski went under a log the other day and he got ejected from the telemark bindings. At least they were the releasable type. Mine don't release. I might have really gotten hurt if I had done that!

Be careful everyone, please.

JimG.

Staff member
Re: that's the way it's been at most places

Powderqueen said:
Since we had a total thaw down to rock and mud the day before the MLK weekend, nearly all resorts in the east are suffering from lack of base, even though we seem to have tons of snow (relative). Since its been so cold since that last melt down, the snow has been very light and fluffy, so it won't stick together, to the surfaces it sits upon. I've heard all kinds of reports about core shots in the last week. We all want to get out to the woods and find the fresh snow, but you must beware...not much base. We all are hitting stuff, and my friend told me that his ski went under a log the other day and he got ejected from the telemark bindings. At least they were the releasable type. Mine don't release. I might have really gotten hurt if I had done that!

Be careful everyone, please.

Sound advice...I've been skiing a little woods shot at Hunter that is close to snowmaking areas and gets alot of overspray and windblown snow in it. Even with the 18" on Sat, I scraped a few things and wound up with one nice base shot on Sun. But by Wednesday this week, the snow had settled a bit and with 5" more on top the same area skiied very well. We are getting there slowly.