• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pregnant BASE jumper dies on final jump

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

deadheadskier

Staff member
Tragic as it is, does anyone think that BASE jumping while pregnant is a bit selfish?

I would tend to agree. While I don't think pregnant women should live in a bubble and I'm sure pregnant women die in car crashes everyday, I do think base jumping while pregnant is an unnecessary risk that in this case resulted in tragedy. Sad.

SkiFanE

As a lone female that will probably post, stop passing judgement. She's been 600 time without fault, do you think she would have thought that one more would have been it? NO! Women are asked to give up SO much during pregnancy (try treating major headaches with tylenol...go..try it...), you don't even know unless you've BTDT. I skiied with #3 until almost 5 mos pregnant...risky, but wtf...I know myself and what I am capable of. I did however pass up the chance for an amniocentesis (being the old age of 40 I was strongly guided towards one) seeing the chance of miscarriage is 1:200 to 1:400 depending on the hospital. So I took all risks into consideration...this woman could have too, and based on her history, it was a slight risk.

Read What to Eat When You're Expecting for the loads of guilt heaped on pregnant women. I gave up all caffeine for pregnancy #1, could not do that for Kids #2 and 3...so far my later kids do not seem to be harmed or whatever the risk of consuming caffeine. REally...GUYS... don't go here.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I was actually kinda thinking the same thing SkiFanE, even having just had my son born a few short months ago.

People do all kinds of stuff you know. Our doctor told my wife she could keep skiing until month 5, although she didn't.

Also, she did say she was planning on giving it up entirely if I read it correctly after giving birth.

I didn't see how far along she was. I assume it was very early on still. I probably wouldn't have done it, but I guess theoretically a similar argument could be made for those who die doing something and have kids (Jamie Pierre?). although I guess they aren't taking their fetus with them.

Who knows, it is tragic in any event.

JimG.

Staff member
I don't believe that folks with families or folks about to have families should do these types of activites.

Just my opinion, don't go off and flame this thread over it.

That said, I don't believe it would have mattered in this case. This is like the guy who survives a car wreck only to die when the ambulance gets into a car wreck. The circumstances of the jump are too much to ignore. Her last jump and she dies?

It was her time and she would have gone out one way or the other.

ScottySkis

It's horrifying that her husband had too see that, they did an episode on Taboo about that sport and most realize that they could die and seem okay just horrible that unborn child will never make it.