• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RAW - Burlington, CT 2009-09-16

WoodCore

Met up with Greg around 4:15 this afternoon at Brooksvale Park for a planned rip on the MTB however mother nature decided decided that she didn't want us riding at this location as it was frickin' pouring cats and dogs regardless with a quick check of the radar on the BlackBerry we decided to head for drier pastures up north in Burlington and get a ride in.

Despite the change of venues we still managed to get rolling around 5:30 and rode the following route: E. Chippens>4-way>B Street>Reservoir Road>Fire Road Bypass> FKC > Cornwall DH> Hinman> Jug> Scoville Road> Scoville Twisties> Bushwack> WC Bypass. The loop came in at 7.53 miles with around 1100 feet of climbing and utilized every available lumen of daylight.

Although I was somewhat disappointed not to be able to ride somewhere different this evening, after driving out of the deluge that was occurring in southern CT this afternoon and actually being able to get a ride in was awesome!

Anyway had a good ride tonight!! It's was really starting to feel like fall out on the trails, cool air, breezy and the first hints of the foliage changing color are really beginning to become noticeable. Regardless, as always a pleasure riding with you Greg. :beer:

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
First real ride for me in weeks. We did 7.5 miles in a bit over 90 minutes. The ride felt a lot further and longer than that for me. I was sucking major wind. I had to stop after that tricky part on the FKC. I let WC roll on while I struggled to catch my breath. My lungs were burning. I actually thought I might pass out at one point. Kinda scary. That's what I get for trying to keep up with WC on a somewhat ambitious late-season RAW after not being on the bike for several weeks. I eventually pulled myself together and while I felt shitty, the rest of the ride was much more enjoyable. WC smoked me on the climbing part of Hinman. 97 billion consecutive days on the MTB is really paying off for him. He's achieving cy-borg status.

Anyway, great to get back out. Fall is definitely in the air. Cool temps and that distinct smell of freshly fallen leaves. I love it! Got home to find my wife saved me some leftover buffalo chicken pizza. I just stuffed my face along with a Sam Octoberfest. Life is definitely good!

WoodCore

Got home to find my wife saved me some leftover buffalo chicken pizza. I just stuffed my face along with a Sam Octoberfest. Life is definitely good!

Good to hear Greg and so wish I had a piece of that pizza right about now! LOL!

bvibert

Staff member
Glad you guys managed a ride despite the weather. Sounds like a pretty ambitious route given the start time, nice work!