• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback - Jan 13, 2010 (pics)

salsgang

Date(s) Skied: January 13, 2010

Resort or Ski Area: Saddleback

Conditions: PP - Wind Blown Powder

Trip Report: Great day at Saddleback! My friend and I are again taking the occasional Wednesday off to go skiing. We were rewarded with a super day at the 'Back.

Clicked in at 9AM - pretty chilly with the temp around zero to start, but would warm into the teens later in the day. The groomed trails skied perfect all day and we started with a great run down Gray Ghost. We got our legs loosened up on Golden Smelt and lower Nightmare glade, Peachy's Peril and Thrombosis glade (all skied very well) and then took the Quad to the top.

We hit Casablanca entry #4 and it was very good, but found the snow to be a bit better in the tighter glade sections. Overall a great run. I found the glades to ski "fast" as the cover was excellent but not a whole lot of powder to turn in. You just had to be on your toes. We skied Intimitador Glade from Tri Color and ducked into Governor. Sweet wind blown powder stashes on the sides on Governor. Win!

At lunch I took out my ITouch and Saddleback posted a picture from today on Facebook from Black Beauty. DEEP. When we were hauling butt to Casablanca the top of Black Beauty look sketchy, but that picture showed some goods to be had. We ended up hitting that trail four times in a row! Once you got past the first 100 yards (and even that was not bad) major wind blown stashes and excellent coverage everywhere! Score!

We finished the day ripping some groomers. Lower Professor and nice stashes and the last run down Lower Jane Craig had amazing powder on the sides.

Light mid-week crowd. Felt like we had the mountain to ourselves. Folks, Saddleback has to be skiing better than any mountain in New England at the moment. If you have a chance to get up there you should go. It is so worth it!!!

My friend showing Lower Nightmare Glade what it is all about.
20100113sback1.jpg

A rare picture of me (as I am usually behind the camera) getting in some Governor Stash
20100113sback2.jpg

Black Beauty and the Beautiful View
20100113sback3.jpg

Black Beauty Powder
20100113sback4.jpg

More Black Beauty Goodness
20100113sback5.jpg

Last edited:

2knees

you're pics and tr's are right up there with JD's.

great stuff.

snoseek

damn! If this keeps up March/April will be very memorable-Such a great base there for January

jerseyrob

Nice Salsgang! That Black Beauty picture on Facebook today had me drooling!!!

xwhaler

Thanks Salsgang! Always appreciate your TR's as I think you and I may be the only ones here on AZ with Saddleback being our home mtns.
Thanks for the tips on some of the front face trails (Black Beauty, Governor, etc.)
I have trekked out to Casablanca twice this yr so far and passing those trails just looked too wind blown to me....nice to hear its really only the top section that is a bit rough.

I'm heading up tomorrow night thru Monday and with warming temps it should be a great wknd!

salsgang

Thanks for the tips on some of the front face trails (Black Beauty, Governor, etc.)
I have trekked out to Casablanca twice this yr so far and passing those trails just looked too wind blown to me....nice to hear its really only the top section that is a bit rough.

I'm heading up tomorrow night thru Monday and with warming temps it should be a great wknd!

I might not have hit Black Beauty if I didn't see that Facebook photo. Props to Saddleback for keeping it current! (and for providing free wi-fi in the lodge). Have fun this weekend.

salsgang

Nice report! I am skiing Saddleback Saturday for the first time ever and I can't wait.

Super! Hope you have fun. The only trails that were pretty bony Wednesday were Upper Professor / Jane Craig from the Rangeley chair. I would pass on those... but other than that you should be good to go! Sounds like they are going to have the upper mountain wide open after snowmaking on Tightline / Supervisor / Wardens Worry.