• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Saddleback, ME 2/19/05

TeleGrrrl

Solon, Maine. Avatar: Mule Skinner, Saddleback, ME
Saddleback 2/19/05

When I left my house I wasn't sure if I was going to hike up and bag Saddleback Peak and the Horn, or ride the chair. Frigid temps prevailed, so I bought a lift ticket and booted up in the new lodge. Wow, the new owners are really going all out! I love the post and beam construction, the huge windows that look to surrounding peaks, and the soon to be stone fireplace.
saddlebacklodge.jpg

Trail Conditions

I expected icy conditions with frozen granular at best, but was pleasantly surprised when I started up the lift :D :D There's something to be said about a t-bar summit lift, it really slows down skier traffic so nothing gets skied off real fast. Powder prevailed above 3K, breakable crust off piste below 3K. The groomers were carvable with a few patches of ice. I skied under the double lift at 11:00 and still had fresh corduroy :p
saddlebackdouble.jpg

Trip Report

It was cold. at 8:30 it was -18F at the top of the t-bar. I decided to ski aggressive to keep warm, so I headed over to the steeper terrain.
saddlebacknadine.jpg

I found a high traverse leading into the woods and decided to follow the trail.
saddlebackmuletrav.jpg

After about 1/4 to3/8 of a mile the traverse ends at a trail called Mule Skinner. It's the only trail over this far, and ended up being the perfect trail for me. No snowmaking, no grooming, rocks and roots and small trees poking up all over. Not too wide, winding down the fall line, no wind, no people (8 others all day), and soft snow :D
saddlebacknadine2.jpg

saddlebacknadine3.jpg

saddlebacknadine4.jpg

Not to mention the rime ice was really pretty
saddlebackrime2.jpg

The warming hut at the top of the double chair was key in keeping fingers and toes warm. The ski patrol hauled up a donated futon yesterday which made for some cozy seating next to the fire. There's also a microwave and picnic table inside the hut.

Tight Line, also off the T-bar was a groomed trail with nice whalebacks to ski over. The headwall at the top of the trail doesn't hold much snow, the first 10-12 turns are on solid ice.

The crowds must have been on the blue groomers, I saw about 10 people all day where I skied.

Apre ski was in the Swig and Smelt. Any bar with a name like that is worthy of a beer :beer: Live music by Stevie Ray Vaughn look-alike Roy Hudson Band provided a fine assortment of blues and southern rock. Carrabassett pale ale and nachos tasted perfect after a great day of skiing.

Telegrrrl

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Mule Skinner looks like my type of run, nice pics. i'm overdue on hitting saddleback. last year was suppose to be the year, now this year was suppose to be the year, but i think next year will definitely be the year. :roll:

Terry

saddleback

A group of us are planning to do Saddleback this coming sat. Am really looking forward to it. We will be at Sugarloaf friday, Saddleback sat, and back to the Loaf on sun. Can't wait to get up there!!!
:beer:

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
Mule Skinner looks like my type of run, nice pics
Indeed. I'm getting into natural runs more and more myself...

TeleGrrrl

Solon, Maine. Avatar: Mule Skinner, Saddleback, ME
Nice TR yourself sledhaulingmedic :D
Saddleback really is a rare gem. I see all the cars in the parking lot, but never see many folks on the trail. I may head back over tomorrow or friday. With all this new snow I'm sure I can find a powder stash or two over there. Besides, I have to try out my new powder skis :D :D

tg