• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Butternut - 4/1/2005

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Friday, 4/1/2005, 1:30 PM - 4:15 PM

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Butternut, Great Barrington, Massachusetts

Conditions: Spring mush. Sunny and warm. No wind.

Trip Report: Got to the mountain shortly after 1 PM and booted up in the car in my front row parking space. Boarded the Top Flight quad around 1:30. Much of the drive up was gloomy with a low cloud cover, but the skies basically cleared as soon as I got there. I made a bee line down Whip/Twist/West Way to the Overbrook Triple hoping there would be some bumps left on Downspout. Not unexpectedly, it was flat as a pancake. Took a few runs off the triple and then headed back to the quad.

Next run was Lucifer's/Hob Nob and then Applejack which was run of the day. I found a great line on skier's right in and around some trees. I did this run 5 or 6 times and each run, my line became more defined. It added a little bit of a challenge to the day. On Lower Applejack, I popped back and forth over the side lip the skier's left. I threw in a few more runs on Lucifer's/Hob Nob as well.

I made a total of twelve 1,000' vertical runs. Not bad for less than three hours. There was only a handful of people today and I waited for a total of one chair all day. The rest were ski-on. The mountain is in good shape with full side to side coverage on all trails. There's still even 4-6" in protected areas in the woods. They're hoping to stay open until April 10, but it'll be interesting to see what this weekend's deluge does to them. Great day!

Click HERE for more pics.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Greg said:
Date(s) Skied: Friday, 4/1/2005, 1:30 PM - 4:15 PM

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Butternut, Great Barrington, Massachusetts

Conditions: Spring mush. Sunny and warm. No wind.

Trip Report: Got to the mountain shortly after 1 PM and booted up in the car in my front row parking space. Boarded the Top Flight quad around 1:30. Much of the drive up was gloomy with a low cloud cover, but the skies basically cleared as soon as I got there. I made a bee line down Whip/Twist/West Way to the Overbrook Triple hoping there would be some bumps left on Downspout. Not unexpectedly, it was flat as a pancake. Took a few runs off the triple and then headed back to the quad.

Next run was Lucifer's/Hob Nob and then Applejack which was run of the day. I found a great line on skier's right in and around some trees. I did this run 5 or 6 times and each run, my line became more defined. It added a little bit of a challenge to the day. On Lower Applejack, I popped back and forth over the side lip the skier's left. I threw in a few more runs on Lucifer's/Hob Nob as well.

I made a total of twelve 1,000' vertical runs. Not bad for less than three hours. There was only a handful of people today and I waited for a total of one chair all day. The rest were ski-on. The mountain is in good shape with full side to side coverage on all trails. There's still even 4-6" in protected areas in the woods. They're hoping to stay open until April 10, but it'll be interesting to see what this weekend's deluge does to them. Great day!

Click HERE for more pics.
Nice quick trip..Those are the trips I miss, late half day trips home by dinner. Looks like you have done well this season. How many days skiing so far?

Greg

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
Looks like you have done well this season. How many days skiing so far?
This was day 22 which is very good for me. Three more days coming up at Sugarloaf and I think that'll be it for me. Twenty was my goal for this season and I already have that so I'm happy.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Greg said:
ALLSKIING said:
Looks like you have done well this season. How many days skiing so far?
This was day 22 which is very good for me. Three more days coming up at Sugarloaf and I think that'll be it for me. Twenty was my goal for this season and I already have that so I'm happy.
Nice..I will end with 15 days. Not bad for me last year it was only 4. :eek:

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like a good trip. I was hoping to get up there on Sunday, but decided against it with the crappy weather...

skijay

It looked like everything in the Berkshires was closed this weekend. I hope to go Butternut on Sat or Sun if we do not go to Orford.

bvibert

Staff member
I didn't even bother to check to see if Butternut was even open...

I hope the weather is decent in the Whites next weekend...