• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 1/11

Greg

Staff member
Just got a voicemail from powhunter:

"Mr. Sullivan did his job yesterday. They're (effin') nice. Like 5 times to 8 times better than yesterday. Later"

:lol:

powhunter

Nice January bumps today!!! Great job by sundown top coating them!! In fact the wholw mountain had excellent conditions groomed packed powder!!! Got there around 11 and pretty much had the whole mountain to myself, Did some runs with some really cool patrollers and had a nice conversation with Harry (guest services}.

Noreaster is still pretty funky but has some nice tacky pow on them. Temptor was in awesome shape..Same money line on skiers right...a few irregular bumps in the middle, and the bottom line was effin unbelieveable!!! No ice at all!! Jonnypoach showed up around 1 and we hit it for an hour or so... I was really happy with my skiing today...Focused on pole planting...Got the rythem down on most runs, and was stoked to leave on such a high!!! Im gonna say to anyone going out tonight...The bumps should be pretty Effin good!!!!

Thanks sundown for the awesome conditions!!!!!!

steveo

2knees

alright greg, give it up! how did their shovel work turn out? come on man, i'm staying up just for this.

yes, i have no life.

Greg

Staff member
alright greg, give it up! how did their shovel work turn out? come on man, i'm staying up just for this.

yes, i have no life.

Well. It's pretty exciting....not.

We got some semblance of a line started at the top, about 8 bumps worth, leading into a spot we think would be good for the kickers (plus the cat can get in there easily). Beyond that spot, there's little hope. Left is gonna be the fast line, that's for sure. Anyway, we started with this:

P1020252.JPG

And ended up with this:

P1020264.JPG

Radically different, right? :lol: Oh well, we tried. Actually, it did ski quite a bit better. There was a big broad area of flat hard pack in there initially.

There are two sick lines on the right side. Tough to ski them at night though given the low light over there.

2knees

well, it also is only january 11th. lots can happen between now and the 30th. Even rain and a thaw/freeze can change the way lines come back. or something like that.

To help the lines, you should put little brushes in. The race department must have some.

Greg

Staff member
To help the lines, you should put little brushes in. The race department must have some.

Might be an option. The problem is while there is while there's some loose snow on top now, it doesn't take long to get to the icy base. We really need a soft day to ski something in. Of course, then it will freeze up as hard as ever when it gets cold, but at least something will be established. Kind of a petrified bump line... :lol:

Trev

Might be an option. The problem is while there is while there's some loose snow on top now, it doesn't take long to get to the icy base. We really need a soft day to ski something in. Of course, then it will freeze up as hard as ever when it gets cold, but at least something will be established. Kind of a petrified bump line... :lol:

40+ on Thursday and Friday this week. I am planning Friday afternoon/evening run myself.

bvibert

Staff member
I think we made some decent progress last night. The left line was skiing pretty nicely up top when we were done. The bottom is a bit of a mess, but I think it could be corrected with a few adjustments. All in all a nice night, kinda cool to ski in the line that I helped to make...

Greg

Staff member
40+ on Thursday and Friday this week. I am planning Friday afternoon/evening run myself.

Yep. Just don't expect significant softening. Temptor really gets no sun this time of year. I've skied it on 50+ degree days in March with a higher sun angle and it still didn't soften much.

2knees

Yep. Just don't expect significant softening. Temptor really gets no sun this time of year. I've skied it on 50+ degree days in March with a higher sun angle and it still didn't soften much.

no kidding. only thing that softens temptor now is rain. temps have no effect on that iceberg.

Trev

Bummer. Now that you mention it, I did note to myself the other day, while checking out your pics, that the place was all shade in the am..

Ah well..
Still hitting it Thursday though :)

Propane torches attached to rear end of the ski ?? maybe ??

Greg

Staff member
I think it'll still be pretty good. Just don't expect spring-like or post-rain softness.

BTW, next rainy afternoon, I'm there!!!

2knees

leaving work now, should be there by 7 or so.

by the time i get finished with them, they should look something like this.

bravo0112a.JPG

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
leaving work now, should be there by 7 or so.

by the time i get finished with them, they should look something like this.

bravo0112a.JPG

i dont even ski bumps much and that looks awesome. nice shot find...

if you need dudes, you can ask park guys.... they got abig "to do list" but may be able to help out for an hour or so

2knees

i dont even ski bumps much and that looks awesome. nice shot find...

if you need dudes, you can ask park guys.... they got abig "to do list" but may be able to help out for an hour or so

i'll take shovel duties for a while. tell me where to go when i get there and i'll take one up with me.