• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing animations - New Hampshire resorts

alexs

Website
alex.sakharov.net
Hello,
I thought skiers could be interested to have a look at:
http://sakharov.net/skiing/virtualdescent.html

It is animations featuring going down these slopes in New Hampshire:
* Illusion at Attitash - Bear Peak
* The Ledges at Cranmore
* Middle Catapult at Wildcat
* Goosebumps at Mount Sunapee

The animations are kind of choppy but give some movement feeling. I plan to add more in future.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
worked for me trailboss ;)

one question: why not just use a camcorder and make a small .wmv file instead of knitting together a bunch of stills that seems jerky and don't show much?

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's working now...I got the site at least, but the video is a bit odd. Points for effort though :wink:

shenty

It worked for me, but I also have a pretty hefty machine here at work. While it was on, I loaded up excel with the mother of all spreadsheets and it came to a crawl.

It was fun, I enjoyed skiing down a Virtual Ledges at Cranmore, and I agree with awf170, it also made me a bit queasy..

alexs

Website
alex.sakharov.net
There was a question about using a camcoder. The answer is simple - I do not like using a camcoder. I used to have one, it still sits somewhere in my basement. Not my stuff.

I actually happen to see some videos made with a camcoder attached to a belt (because skiing with a camcoder in hands is a really bad idea). Those were not good. The frame went from a slope to the sky and back, gloves cross the picture several times. Of course, this does not mean that such videos cannot be good.

To sum up: I would like to suggest someone who is interested to shoot a film with a camcoder. I would be interested to see. I myself stick to the choppy jerky animations.

Greg

Staff member
alexs said:
There was a question about using a camcoder. The answer is simple - I do not like using a camcoder. I used to have one, it still sits somewhere in my basement. Not my stuff.

I actually happen to see some videos made with a camcoder attached to a belt (because skiing with a camcoder in hands is a really bad idea). Those were not good. The frame went from a slope to the sky and back, gloves cross the picture several times. Of course, this does not mean that such videos cannot be good.

To sum up: I would like to suggest someone who is interested to shoot a film with a camcoder. I would be interested to see. I myself stick to the choppy jerky animations.
I think there are a few folks on K-zone that have some sort of helmet-cam set up. I recall seeing a video of Bob R somewhere. Andyzee maybe?