• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow King 2/21/21

Zand

Resort or Ski Area
Snow King
Date
Feb 21, 2021
Snow Conditions
  1. Powder
  2. Chopped or Crud
Landed at the airport shortly after 11:30 and headed for my now traditional 1/2 day start at Snow King before a week of Jackson. First time on skis since my rough wipeout at Cannon. Took about a week for the leg to feel better. Could've skied last week but didn't feel like dealing with the vacation crowds.

Everytime I go west, the first day always makes me feel like a totally out of shape fatass (which I am, but it gets cranked up to 100 on these first days) and I was sucking wind all day, not to mention boot discomfort that also only seems to happen my first day out west. I was able to ski like gangbusters on that last powder day at Cannon, but I guess between the (slight) high elevation of Snow King plus being up since 3:30am eastern for the flight, I only survived 7 or 8 runs before heading out to check into the hotel and promptly pass out.

Don't have a whole lot to elaborate on. I wrote last year about how surprising of a "hill" this is (it has as much vert as Mt Snow but it's basically the Ward Hill of Jackson) and it really does have some kickass terrain with 0 crowds. Basically a bigger Plattekill, it maintains a steep pitch through all of its vertical and has a ton of fun woods shots. It's very much an eastern type hill with narrow trails and much less natural than Jackson Hole gets 15 miles away. It was already a no brainer to spend a half day at, but now that it's on the Indy Pass it's even more of a no brainer.

I don't know if this is legit or it was just me, but I kinda had a hard time in the woods figuring out the surface. There was 4-6" of dry powder on top of either an unsupportive base that you would sink into, or the base would be almost porcelain. While the powder on top looked nice, the uncertainty of what was underneath made turns in the untracked very uncomfortable. And good luck finding any tracks at Snow King. On a busy day this place gets like 200 people, so powder sits for days.

I did very much enjoy the insanely steep Liftline under the Summit Double. The top of this thing is right up there with stuff like Tower 3 at JH as far as steepness goes and much more surefooted underneath compared to the glades. With a little bit better of a base (the depth is fine, just the consistency was bad) this place would be a blast on a powder day.

Phone died early on so not many pics, which is unfortunate because this place has the coolest views of any ski area, bar none. In a season of uncertainty, the one thing I can be certain of is that the next four days at Jackson Hole will be batshit insane after last week's snow cycle and more coming this week. Can't wait.

0221211445.jpg
0221211508.jpg

0221211542.jpg

Tonyr

That's a great photo of the town of Jackson. We were out there a few weeks ago and didn't get a chance to ski Snow King but wanted to try it. Beware of the lines at Jackson especially on the weekends. Every single line on the mountain was at least a 40 minute wait.

Zand

Won't be here after Thursday so not too worried about 40 minute lines, but Thunder and Sublette were 15 for a good portion of today.

I'll never regret having to work on Saturdays every week. Love the empty weekdays (except here).

Tonyr

That is great, I skied on a Thursday and Friday afternoon and lines were like what your seeing 15 minutes tops at every lift. Saturday and Sunday was a whole different experience, the lines were so bad that I don't know if I'd ever ski Jackson again over a weekend. On Saturday I spent 4 hours out on the mountain and got two solid runs in.

Zand

I've heard horror stories about weekends here, and that was before COVID. Can't imagine doing it right now, today was busy enough. Took over 30 minutes to get back to town because there was so much traffic today.

jimk

Love that shot of town too! In 2018 I stayed slopeside at Snow King and did not ski it. Regret that, but I was on a very tight schedule that trip.

jimmywilson69

When I went Jackson in 2019 did the same thing. Walked to the lift from our hotel in our gear. It was late March and basically spring. Place is steep and very fun. Hiked to the peak with my son. And skied a bit of that bowl in the back. Was fun. Will always ski my first day there on future trips.