• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So Many Limitations at Cannon 1/3/24

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Resort or Ski Area
Cannon Mountain
Date
Jan 3, 2024
Snow Conditions
  1. Packed Powder
Hard packed snow, many patches of ice, limited terrain, no sun, and limited visibility at the top. That sums up skiing at Cannon Mountain today. Temperatures stayed in the 30s so it was comfortable. There were no lift lines to speak of. Aside from the dysfunctional baggage policy it was enjoyable to say the least.

My buddy and I took our initial runs on the top section riding the Cannonball Quad with runs on Tramway, Upper Cannon, and Upper Ravine, plus a run each on Rocket and Gary’s. Aside from connecting trails - that’s all that was open - less than half the terrain. Then we took a lunch break. We were about to head back up to the top but the Cannonball was down for some repairs so we just headed over to the Zoomer chair and lapped Gary’s for the afternoon as race training was set up on Rocket.

IMG_2869.jpegIMG_2872.jpegIMG_2876.jpegIMG_2879.jpegIMG_2881.jpegIMG_2880.jpegIMG_2887.jpegIMG_2889.jpeg

Heartful.zzz

Nice photos! Gotta love those varied conditions and limited terrain! At least the temperatures were comfortable and there were no lift lines. It's a bummer that only half the terrain was open, but hey, you made the most of it by lapping Gary's on the Zoomer chair. Sometimes you just gotta go with the flow and enjoy what's available. Happy skiing! ⛷️❄️

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I did not realize that mid mountain trails were connecting trails. Hmmmm
Well, specifically, Middle Cannon. It has some pitch but because it’s kind of a bottle neck, connecting the upper trails to the lower trails it gets a lot of traffic and so it gets scraped off. I often feel I’m just using to get from point A to B, not really enjoying it. Especially Spookie is just a connecter trail.

Puck it

Ro
Well, specifically, Middle Cannon. It has some pitch but because it’s kind of a bottle neck, connecting the upper trails to the lower trails it gets a lot of traffic and so it gets scraped off. I often feel I’m just using to get from point A to B, not really enjoying it. Especially Spookie is just a connecter trail.
Rock Garden, Gremlins, Middle Ravine, Lower Ravine, Lower Cannon. Hmmm. Yup connecting trails for sure, I see what you mean. Nothing in the middle to ski.

RH29

I did not realize that mid mountain trails were connecting trails. Hmmmm
A lot of them ski like that, are busy, and get scraped to ice and granular fast. I've only skied Cannon twice but both times I never really was that amazed by the trails off the Peabody. Mittersill, Zoomer, and Cannon all have way more fun terrain.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
A lot of them ski like that, are busy, and get scraped to ice and granular fast. I've only skied Cannon twice but both times I never really was that amazed by the trails off the Peabody. Mittersill, Zoomer, and Cannon all have way more fun terrain.
Thank you.

Bumpsis

Abubob did underscore a very poignant point which I always felt was the reason for my love/hate relationship with Cannon. The the more interesting terrain at Cannon is clearly divided into two parts, upper and lower with the middle being so heavily skied that is often an icy hell and yes, just some beginner connecting slopes. In addition, the top and the bottom are served by rather short lifts so it feels like I'm skiing some rinky-dink little ski area and doing yo-yo runs. The thing that I love about Cannon is chasing the tram, thus getting the full 2K vertical in a run. That was worth the hassle of taking my skis off and shuffling up to the tram. But most of the time I'm there, the tram is not running and having to connect three chair lifts to get to the top is a pain.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
The thing that I love about Cannon is chasing the tram, thus getting the full 2K vertical in a run. That was worth the hassle of taking my skis off and shuffling up to the tram. But most of the time I'm there, the tram is not running and having to connect three chair lifts to get to the top is a pain.

Absolutely! Unfortunately Avalanche isn’t even close to opening. Even with snow today it’ll take quite a bit to get it open.

Good thing I’m old enough to ski free midweek now. 😎

BodeMiller1

It's all true. The middle of the Mt is flat, the best sking is not there.
Cannon should be getting 8" - 18" overnight. But, Avalanche and Paulie's Folies takes a ton of snow to ski well. When Avalanche flash freezes at the end of the day...
Nice pictures. 🌚