• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stoned, lost in CT

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
Stoned Del. student gets lost in Conn.

Associated Press
07/11/2004

A Delaware college student ate a bag of hallucinogenic mushrooms and drove around in a pair of stolen cars before arriving, confused, on a mountain in northwest Connecticut police said.

Paul Cunningham, 21, hiked to a nearby home Thursday night and asked to call 911, police said.

"I think I stole a car," Cunningham told a dispatcher. "I'm not sure."

Police said Cunningham, of Dover, Del., confessed that eating an entire bag of mushrooms, "probably wasn't a good idea." He allegedly told investigators that he had no idea how many laws he broke during a three-day excursion that took him 300 miles from home.

A student at Wilmington College, he told a state trooper that he bought the drugs in Dover on Monday, according to the Republican-American of Waterbury. The next day, he went for a drive and twice got lost in Connecticut.

He told police he remembers taking a train to LaGuardia Airport in New York, where he found a car with its keys in it. He's unsure where he went from there.

"I once again found myself lost in Connecticut," Cunningham reportedly told police.

After locking the keys in the stolen car, Cunningham allegedly stole a van from a Southbury rest stop.

In Canaan, he decided to climb Music Mountain to see what was on the other side, police said. Investigators believe the exercise cleared Cunningham's head.

"I want to correct my mistakes," Cunningham reportedly told Trooper Andre Roy. "In retrospect, this was a bad idea."

He volunteered a written confession, police said. He was arraigned Friday and was held on $2,500 bail. Both stolen vehicles were recovered.

Boy, would love to see the trip report on this one...

Monday: Got bag of mushrooms
Tuesday: Like, wow, uh, NY. No f-ing way. A car, keys, and I'm outtie.
Wednesday: Whoa. Connecticut. Every wonder what cut is connected here?
Thursday: I'm on a mountain. What mountain and where, I have no idea.
Friday: Jail sucks.

Greg

Staff member
Based only on the topic subject, I thought you had an interesting personal weekend story to tell... ;)

SilentCal

It's a shame he did not wake up on the summit of Owl's Head. The look on his face when he saw the summit sign would have been priceless....

ChileMass

Wonder if Mom and Dad bailed him out or if they let him sit in jail for a few days to think about it.......? :roll:

MtnMagic

Hope that Ma & Pa made him think about it more than a few days!

I also wish to see the trip report!
:x