• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf 05-03-08

loafer89

Area skied: Sugarloaf, Maine

Date skied: May 3rd from 8:30am - 11:00am

Surface conditions: Machine groomed, variable, hardpacked, limited spring snow

Weather: overcast and 35F at 8:30am, drizzle and 42F at 11:00am

Today dawned sunny but quickly turned cloudy and by the time we got to Sugarloaf the sky was a sullen gray with cold temperatures. We started out on Kings Landing and the snow was very firm and only halfway decent where it was still untouched curduroy.

Hayburner was filled with a mix of ice cookies and loose granular snow with exposed surface ice showing through by 10:00am. We skied into The Yard which had a frozen solid surface condition.

We took in five runs in all before it started to rain lightly and we decided to call it a day and start home.

Overall I am happy that we got in a sunny day yesterday, but today was still a decent last day of the season for us.

Due to the damp cold weather I only took pictures of the mountain this afternoon from the outdoor center:

Sugarloaf5-3-08.jpg

Last edited:
Props on driving 5.5 hours for a final weekend of East coast skiing in early May..I'm playing golf tomorrrow..doh..

jerryg

The snow got a lot better as they day went on. Sluice and Spillway were really nice, but Gondi Line, while open, wasn't really skiable. I thought Kings and Hayburner were decent and both have a TON of snow on them. On each run we skied over to Lower Gauge (Nice corn set-up) instead of dealing with Candy Slide.

SL could easily keep going if they wanted to.

klrskiah

Yeah it got pretty good after 1ish, but the weather sucked so I called it a day at around 1:30. like jerry said, gondi and everything on the east side was pretty frozen / sketch... but it is May... i'm not complaining

loafer... can't believe you drove that far to ski this.. you're nuts!.... major props!