• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf 4/25/2008

polski

Website
twitter.com
The view from my balcony for the night, 4/24/08, 8 p.m.:

20070424sugarloaf8pm.jpg

To be cont'd

polski

Website
twitter.com
Six groomers are working the mountain tonight. This SR report says there's been no grooming at Sugarloaf in more than a week.

One groomer is moving snow around to bolster the base area, which looked like this at dusk:

20080424sugarloaf8pm_basearea.jpg

Base temp at 5:30 p.m. arrival was 57. Dropped to 50 within an hour, 45 at 10:30 p.m. and 41 currently.

Gotta love this in the NWS-Gray forecast discussion as of 9 p.m.:

GIVEN THE DRY AIR IN PLACE WE`LL FALL BELOW FREEZING BY DAWN ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS

Edd

Was there Wed/Thurs. Nothing but spring bumps for two days. Such a great mountain. It's the place to be right now.

polski

Website
twitter.com
Looks like they groomed three routes from top to bottom and a few other things. Web site has a list now. Lots left bumped up. Groomers still out there now.

Base temp at 6:30 a.m. was 39, sunny and calm. NWS reporting the overnight low in the region was 26 at Berlin NH.

dropKickMurphy

I'll be there Monday, friday, Sat and Maybe Sunday next week. Looks like some trails have full coverage. Good pictures. thankx.

They're advertising a "Raft and ski" weekend next week on their website. WW rafting on the Dead Saturday, ski on Sunday. That sounds like one hell of a weekend.

polski

Website
twitter.com
Belated update: Great day Friday. It did get below freezing Thursday night -- we saw skim ice on puddles at the base as we made our way to the SuperQuad, and definitely some hardpack under the cord at higher elevations -- though from top to bottom the surface softened quickly in the morning as the temps moved up through the 40s and beyond. We wound up sticking mainly to groomers and they were fun -- surfin' corduroy. The very top of Timberline was getting awfully scratchy and I'm not surprised to see the Timberline chair is now closed. Near the end of they day we had fun on one natural snow trail, unsure the name but it dumped out into a terrain park -- some threading the needle was involved and the kids had a lot of fun with that.

Great trip all around as I'd rented a slopeside condo so we had pool/hot tub/etc the evening before and evening after we skied. Huge stack of ribs at the Rack on Thursday night with a big enough doggy bag to cover us for our ski-off lunch in the condo Friday. Another phenomenal dinner on the ride home at the Granary in Farmington.

Pix to come ...

This is almost certainly it for my lift-served season, especially now that Wildcat has closed. Awesome season spanning six months and two weeks (Nov. 11 to April 25) and including first-ever visits to Stowe, Sugarbush (ME), Magic and Sugarloaf, plus five days including one foot+ powder day at MRG.

Last edited:

polski

Website
twitter.com
Just a few pix.

First run of the day, spring corduroy:

20080425springcorduroy1.jpg

The top of Timberline, which had one more day left before closing:

20080425timberline2.jpg

Last shot from the balcony before we checked out of the condo at noon:

20080425_64degrees.jpg

No photos from the afternoon.

And thus the sun set on lift-served skiing for 2007-08.

20080425bye.jpg