• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River - 1/22/10

WJenness

Conditions: Bluebird

Simply one of the best days I've ever had skiing.

High 20s, no wind, Soft snow (10" new reported this week, 2" here, 2" there kind of week), light crowds (had to wait about 30 seconds at the barker lift once).

Started the day with a ride up the Tempest chair, then down the groomed side of tempest (roped off bump course looking decent on the top half, there was an open entrance, so anyone could have skied it if they wanted to), over heats on and onto the White Heat quad, gorgeous views from this lift, such a clear day... Hit obsession, back on the white heat lift, down white heat (very nice first thing), then we hit shockwave. Shockwave was a good workout, lots of ungroomed funky (good funky) bumps / whales / rollers, it was a trail that made you work, and was good fun. Hit Obsession and White Heat once more each (Obsession still primo, White Heat about 80% as good as it was the first time), then we left for Barker via Salvation -> Bim's Whim -> Cascades. This was a fun run of Groomed - > Un groomed - > Groomed - > ungroomed -> an amazingly groomed Cascades, that trail skied amazingly.

Spent a bunch of time in Barker (T2 -> Monday morning was a blast, groomed snow, but nice and soft and you could rip, Right Stuff also quite good), Some very nice looking bump lines forming skiers left of Agony (didn't hit them, but they sure looked pretty from the lift).

Lunch was a stop at Shipyard Brew Haus in the Whitecap lodge, pretty tasty, then we went back out, a few more barker runs, then hit spruce and Aurora. Finished the day with a couple runs on North Peak (3D was nice even though they groomed the middle of the trail... one of those trails that is usually best left alone).

Decompressed in the hot tub and pool, now waiting on our other friends to join us as we're back out Tomorrow and Sunday.

-w

Edd

Was there today also. Absolutely outstanding conditions. I was test driving some Volkl Bridges (more on that in a future thread) but I should have just ridden my 8000s. I would have tore the mountain up alot more than I did.