• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 3/5

mlkrgr

I went to Sunday River today on the Nacski bus; came in handy since tomorrow looks like to be a total washout. Didn't bring the camera because thought it would get wet with the minor amount of NCP predicted, and there wasn't much to take pics of anyway because of visibility. A lot of people purchasing two day tix from lodging packages were regretting their decision. I gave the hint to some people to at least try to cash in their ticket early in the day for a voucher. If it wasn't for the weather, I'd be doing a two day trip to Wildcat Sunday/Monday, but this worked well for this weekend.

We watched some cool ski videos and Norbit to and from the mountain. The ski video was about different people's thoughts and stories about ducking ropes/skiing out of boundaries and another about a 82 year old man who shares his thoughts about skiing. Best thing about them is the footage.

It still ended up to be particularly good conditions. There was some NCP during the day and some freezing rain. Though, there was some snow in the morning and a slight amount of it in higher elevations in the afternoon. For the day though, conditions still held up fantastic. There was some fresh snow in the morning, but it softened up particularly in the last hour.

The top 1/3 of White Heat was very icy. Some other areas of the mountain had icy spots, but nowhere as bad for what I skied. Though, North Peak Trails and 3D skied very well and were more enjoyable since I didn't encounter as much fog. Jordan blue trails still skied well as well as the Sunday Punches. I was at Jordan and there appeared to be ski patrol that was announcing the Jordan lift was closing, but I may have misunderstood him. Though, I moved over to Aurora to be sure I didn't get stuck. Skied down Quantum Leap to get to Aurora and that was good. I enjoyed the jump park at the bottom. It was very foggy too towards the top and you could only see the next lift tower in front of you at many times. Though, lift stoppages seemed to be a bit more than what I'd usually see.

The crowds weren't that bad for Saturday. Singles line was no more than a 5 minute wait at the South Ridge Express in the morning; othewise no lines/few chair lines.