• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown 3-9-11

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
3-9-11
sundown night skiing
groomed loose granular
Great night at Sundown. Almost no one there. Bumps were really good from 6 to about 8 when they got a little icy.
The groomers groom the park, but do not groom the center line going to the jumps. Anyone know why? There was a really nice sized jump there but the line to it had a couple bumps right before you take the jump that could have been groomed out. IMHO

Bumps at the top of Gunny, the only ones i found were real good for a couple of hours.

100_2108.JPG

A cool feature i have seen before but have not been able to hit due to conditions.
I really like that the Mountain guys make stuff like this.

100_2106.JPG

More of the jump feature
100_2107.JPG

View of the Park

100_2109.JPG

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That feature on Gunny was for a photo shoot, actually. Wasn't really intended for "hitting"--at least, that was my understanding of it.

Don't know why they didn't groom fully leading up to the park features. Maybe because of conditions? I don't think they normally skip parts that should be groomed. Then again, I almost never go down Stinger...

Greg

Staff member
They were mint until about 8 to 8:30 they got icy in between.

I guess they must have finally softened later afternoon. Reports as of 1 pm indicated they were still icy. I would have went over late afternoon had I known.....

Greg

Staff member
Re: grooming the jumps. I suspect they would have to back the cat down to groom the approaches to the jumps. Presumably, the night groom should be done as quick as possible so the trails can be reopened, so they must normally only hit the areas around the jumps.

bvibert

Staff member
I guess they must have finally softened later afternoon. Reports as of 1 pm indicated they were still icy. I would have went over late afternoon had I known.....

F me.. i was all set to go yesterday afternoon but heard they were icy and the weather was EH so i skipped it.

Never trust the reports.... Always check it for yourself!

2knees

thorski, if i ever run into you, pitcher on me. thanks for those pics. lifted my spirits today. those bumps look SWEET.