• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Suunto S6 watch

mergs

EDIT: This post was split from a post in the Skiing Trip Report Forum. I thought it made more sense for the info below to be in the Gear Forum. Sorry for any confusion, bvibert

hey vano, thanks for the belleayre recap. :beer:

was wondering what device (gps) and software you're using to generate the graphs?

Vano

mergs said:

was wondering what device (gps) and software you're using to generate the graphs?

I am using the Suunto S6 watch. Retails for $300. It hooks up to your computer through a serial port so you can download and analyze your ski data.

I think its a great toy, is usually very accurate and provides great recaps of your day on the snow. I highly recommend it.

BeanoNYC

Vano said:
mergs said:

I am using the Suunto S6 watch. Retails for $300. It hooks up to your computer through a serial port so you can download and analyze your ski data.

I think its a great toy, is usually very accurate and provides great recaps of your day on the snow. I highly recommend it.

VERY INTERESTING! Will it's software work on my mac?

bvibert

Staff member
BeanoNYC said:
Vano said:
mergs said:

VERY INTERESTING! Will it's software work on my mac?

Supposedly it will work if you use a PC emulator like Virtual PC to run the PC version (the ONLY version) of the software. Though the Mac platform seems to be completely un-supported by Suunto itself...

Vano

Yeah, I would be careful about the MAC. Not only is it technically not supported by Suunto, the interface that Suunto uses to hook the watches into the computer are pretty unreliable. You have to use an old school serial port - or buy a serial to USB converter and use the USB port.

My watch has been a real pain in the butt though to get to work with my laptop. After days of playing with it, making sure nothing was tieing up my serial port, multiple Windows and Suunto software upgrades, a watch reset if finally worked. You may be running the risk of this problems on a magnified scale by running it on MAC.

BeanoNYC

Vano said:
Yeah, I would be careful about the MAC. Not only is it technically not supported by Suunto, the interface that Suunto uses to hook the watches into the computer are pretty unreliable. You have to use an old school serial port - or buy a serial to USB converter and use the USB port.

My watch has been a real pain in the butt though to get to work with my laptop. After days of playing with it, making sure nothing was tieing up my serial port, multiple Windows and Suunto software upgrades, a watch reset if finally worked. You may be running the risk of this problems on a magnified scale by running it on MAC.

Gotcha ... thanks. Is that watch for aviation?

Vano

BeanoNYC said:
Vano said:

Gotcha ... thanks. Is that watch for aviation?

This watch is called Suunto S6 (S for snow sports). It is very specific for snow sports. Most new Suunto watches come with 5 "Prompts" Watch, Compass, Weather, Activity Specific 1, Activity Specific 2. With the S6 the 2 Activity Specific prompts are logging laps and altitude (basically all the information you saw in the pic i posted) and Ski Chrono which, using a clinometer, measures your speed down the slope along with lap time.

check out www.suunto.com for a list of their latest activity watches. They have watches for Mountaineering, Wilderness Survival, Cross Training, Sailing, Diving and even Golf.

GrizzlyFD

mergs said:

I don't think that this model is the gps one. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It has an altimeter and a small amount of internal memory to record ascents/descents.

They do have a gps watch, but I think its around $500. They have some cool gadgets attached to these watches like barometers with weather alarms to warn of impending storms and such...

But still really cool...

SKIQUATTRO

I have the Metron (an older model) sick watch if I could figure out how to use it.,,,,