• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Future of Powder Ridge ski area in Middlefield CT

Grassi21

I was just watching the local news on CBS 3. The finance board in the town of Middlefield, CT is voting on a proposal to buy Powder Ridge for 3.6 million. The meeting is tonight at 7 PM.

I have never skied at PR, but is this place worth saving? The only things I have heard about this place were bad. Has any other town or state purchased a ski area? If so how has the area fared after the transaction?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think if it was run right, then it could do well. From what I have seen and heard, the owner is more interested in turning it into housing than running the place.

bvibert

Staff member
I haven't skied there in a long time, from what I remember it was similar to Southington. I think the reason the town is trying to save it is that it's the only commercial base and/or draw for the area. I didn't hear anything good about them last year and I think they probably lost a lot of their season's pass holders/regulars. Who knows though, that could change with new management.

skizilla

Great local place

I learned to ski here and sundown and it is about 500 vertical. It is a little boring but with proper snowmaking and school groups and marketing to snow boarders and tubing I think it could do great and is a great afterworks solution. It is within a half hour of hundreds of thousand of people there is no reason economically for it to fail with proper mangement.

Greg

Staff member
I have never skied at PR, but is this place worth saving?

Absolutely! Feeder hills are critical to the success of the Industry.

I've skied the Ridge when I first started out. I would never dream of going back there now, but that doesn't minimize its importance for kids and families learning to ski.

Grassi21

Absolutely! Feeder hills are critical to the success of the Industry.

I've skied the Ridge when I first started out. I would never dream of going back there now, but that doesn't minimize its importance for kids and families learning to ski.

I never thought about it that way. I guess you have to start somewhere.

I'm curious to see what the town does with the place.

Big Game

The town of middlefield is buying the economically undevelopable portions land.(why is the town considering buying the part that is located on the other side of the ridge --- in Wallingford; why is the town buying land that that has a ridgetop easement) The land that's developable, the Leavitts will still own. So, the fear is, that with the 3.6 mill in their pocket, they'll get themselves out of foreclosure, and then sell the developable portion to a developer for many millions. And then leave town laughing --- having ruined powder ridge and gotten richer. I tried explaining this to the 1st Selectman, but was shouted down. Whatever, I'm not a resident of Middlefield and I don't go to powder ridge. I admire the Leavitt's creativity.

Maybe I'll buy one of the new McManison's to be built on Lower Middlefield. I always wanted a nice, flat lot.

Grassi21

The town of middlefield is buying the economically undevelopable portions land.(why is the town considering buying the part that is located on the other side of the ridge --- in Wallingford; why is the town buying land that that has a ridgetop easement) The land that's developable, the Leavitts will still own. So, the fear is, that with the 3.6 mill in their pocket, they'll get themselves out of foreclosure, and then sell the developable portion to a developer for many millions. And then leave town laughing --- having ruined powder ridge and gotten richer. I tried explaining this to the 1st Selectman, but was shouted down. Whatever, I'm not a resident of Middlefield and I don't go to powder ridge. I admire the Leavitt's creativity.

Maybe I'll buy one of the new McManison's to be built on Lower Middlefield. I always wanted a nice, flat lot.

Interesting. There is so much more to town politics than they tell you about on the news. This is a much lower profile example, but we recently got involved with getting a dog park in Trumbull. We found out many interesting things about the town, the 1st Selectman, and other members of the local gov.

2knees

lol that was funny. that place is sooooo flat...............................