• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Thanksgiving 2006 AZ tour.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Well ski season is finally here, amen, got tired seeing all the naysayers writing about the ski falling and stuff. Had a really nice weekend, the reason I refer to it as the AZ tour is cause, I am AZ and I met up with a bunch of AZers over the weekend, had a great time.

Thursday started out as a nice sunny day in Killington where they had the K1 gondola and the Snowshed Triple open. We started out taking the Gondola up to the peak, where we spotted this new structure:
normal_PB230003.JPG
not sure what it is, but looked cute. We met up with Mr Moose from Kzone and did a few laps on Upper East Fall and Rime, then worked our way down to the Poma and did Bunny buster. All trails had plenty of snow it was nice being out there again, felt like we never left. After that we met up with Zook, finally after trying to get together all summer long! Pretty much did the same run again. Took her to the Puma and found that she had never been on one of these, girl showed some great form and style :) :

normal_PB230016.JPG

Started getting a bit cloudy by about 11, bumps were forming on Mouse Trap and East Fall, East Fall was also getting a bit skied off and ice was starting to come through. Skied with Zook a bit and then we finished up about 1 PM, beginning of the season and we still had two days to go. Nice finally meeting you Zook!

Friday, it was Killington again. Headed up first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds, I know what K could be like on Thanksgiving weekend. Well, I was pleasantly surprised, I found Friday to actually be a better day than Thursday. Sun was out all day, actually got to be a bit too warm for out winter jackets, snow softened up real nice, and the crowds weren't all that bad. Killington also opened up lower Chute and the Snowden Quad, great move on Killington's part. Where in previous year's people had no way down except for Lower Bunny Buster, now they had a choice of three routed; Lower Bunny Buster, Chute to the Snowdon Triple, or Chute to Great Northern an over to the K1. On Friday we skied with Trailboss:

normal_PB240029.JPG

BeanoNYC:

normal_PB240030.JPG
and Beano's brother in law.

Had a nice time skiing with this crew, they weren't quiete a pretty as Zook, but it was still a good time. It was especially fun watching Trailboss get sprayed by Collin, Beano's brother-in-law, who skidded to a stop at high speed and almost turned TB into a snowman :) Guys, it was great, got to do it again.

Saturday took us to Mount snow where we met up with this motley crew:

normal_PB250046.JPG

We've met JimG last year, but never met MichaelJ, bvibert, or Greg, great group and it was a real pleasure. Snow had two main runs open, Chute and I believe River Run, sorry not one for trail name, damn I have trouble remembering my own name at time. Anyway, they didn't have as much open as Killington, but the sustained vertical was pleasant had a good time on both runs. The snow was a bit firm and started to get a little icy later in the day, but was able to hold an edge. Great time and looking forward to more trips with the AZ crew. More pics can be found at:

Mt. Snow

and

Killington

Hunter up next!

awf170

normal_PB230003.JPG
not sure what it is, but looked cute.

I think it is quite obvious that it is a Waffle Haus. :lol: This way you can eat one waffle on the way down, and then another on the way up.

Anyway, nice TR. The snow actually looks pretty good for opening weekend, and the crowds look tolerable even by my stanards.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I think it is quite obvious that it is a Waffle Haus. :lol: This way you can eat one waffle on the way down, and then another on the way up.

Anyway, nice TR. The snow actually looks pretty good for opening weekend, and the crowds look tolerable even by my stanards.

What's a stanard? :) And no, I don't think it's a Waffle Haus, looked more like a warming station or patrol station.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Andy, indeed, I'm going to have to steal one for my profile!

I need a new ski jacket - that one puffs out too much in front and makes me look like a weeble. :oops:

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Thanks for the great TR! We give kmart alot of crap but have to give credit where credit is due regarding amount of terrain open and coverage they have .

The Bush did have a small hand in this in that a few summers ago the Bush lent Kmart their snowmaking guru who supervised the construction of their new snowmaking pond.

BTW, Waffle Haus's generally look like this
waffle.jpg

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
FYI - that building up on Killington is for the mountain ambassadors according to someone I overheard while standing in front of it last weekend.

Now ... I must go eat a waffle.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
FYI - that building up on Killington is for the mountain ambassadors according to someone I overheard while standing in front of it last weekend.

Phew, thanks, I can now sleep ;) Yeah, that's what I kind of figured, something for staff to stay warm.

BeanoNYC

Yes I spoke to an ambassador that day. It was indeed an old waffle house that they moved up over the summer for the ambassadors. Thanks for the report Andy. I can't believe I haven't seen it until today.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com