• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Violent Femmes, Pioneers of Alternative Music, to Perform at Sugarloaf on Mar. 18

AlpineZone News

Skiing News
Website
www.alpinezone.com
CARRABASSETT VALLEY, Maine — Generations of alternative rock fans who have been turned on by the music of Violent Femmes will have a chance to see the American cult band in concert on Saturday, March 18 at Sugarloaf/USA.

The 21+ show is the March installment of the Bud Light Concert Series at Sugarloaf. Tickets are $25 in advance or $30 at the door. Doors open at 7 p.m., with the opening act (TBA) taking the stage at 8 p.m., and the Femmes starting at 9 p.m.

No matter what age you are, you probably can sing along to all the words of the 1982 hit "Blister in the Sun." But the repertoire of Violent Femmes goes far beyond its legendary first album, and although many things have changed within the band over the last 20+ years, the distinctive sound has not.

Violent Femmes was founded in Milwaukee in 1980 by bassist Brian Ritchie and drummer Victor De Lorenzo, and singer/songwriter Gordon Gano was added in 1981. Since then the band has released numerous albums and traveled the world putting on one of the most rockingest shows on earth.

"I remember listening to them when I was in college," says Sugarloaf Brand Manager Karen Greene. "I can't wait to see them live in concert. I know they'll put on an amazing show for Sugarloafers."

Violent Femmes is well known for its relationship with the audience, otherwise known as the "fourth member" of the band. It is rare that a rock band stays together for as long as the Femmes while still maintaining the same demographic of fans - those who have grown up with the band and new college-age fans around the world.

Visit www.sugarloaf.com or call 1.800.THE.LOAF for tickets. To learn more about Violent Femmes, visit www.vfemmes.com.