• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Utah Ski Area Base Lodge Burns

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's been ten years since I skied an afternoon at Nordic Valley (which was then briefly known as "Skyline Base"), but it is a neat little area that is a great feeder hill, still somewhat affordable for locals, and is trying to expand. Even though it is owned by Mountain Capital Partners, it is still considered a small locals place. So it is very sad to hear that at just shy of 2am this morning their "barn" base lodge caught fire and appears to be pretty badly damaged. They closed today and are closed until they can get ticket processing equipment in place.

They've had some bad luck as of late with the Apollo Double Chair, the main lift, breaking down for an extended amount of time and not much snow until recently. Hope things turn around.

1705363501844.png

Nordic-Valley-23_24-Trail-Map-1-scaled.jpg

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

4aprice

Another hit for a place that I believe has some potential. I believe that Nordic got approval to build a small condo village there. Wouldn't be a horrible location between SnowBasin and Powder. I also believe I may have read there is still further room for expansion too. They are in with the same group of areas as Brian Head, Purgatory. (AZ SB maybe) and some places in NM so they seem to have some backing. I think Utah could use another ski area. I hope they get the lower double up quick and make a go of it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Another hit for a place that I believe has some potential. I believe that Nordic got approval to build a small condo village there. Wouldn't be a horrible location between SnowBasin and Powder. I also believe I may have read there is still further room for expansion too. They are in with the same group of areas as Brian Head, Purgatory. (AZ SB maybe) and some places in NM so they seem to have some backing. I think Utah could use another ski area. I hope they get the lower double up quick and make a go of it.
Agreed. It is a setback for MCP. Honestly, the Apollo Double moved from "may have some limited life left" to "replace immediately". Now a base lodge is needed. Hopefully insurance can cover some of the loss, but no retail, no food, no booze, and no ticket offices is a major blow. Just when we got snow....

jaytrem

That's sucks. Sure seems like a lot of base lodges burn down. We skied there last year. Has to do the short hike to get to the new pod, but we had a great time. Hopefully they can get up and running soon.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The other night I saw this video in my FB feed. I was going to post it, but now it is oddly on topic.

thetrailboss

Staff member
From SkiUtah. Spelling and proper word choice is so overrated, especially in public relations.

1705597925798.png

thetrailboss

Staff member
(Hopefully this is not behind a paywall)

An update on Nordic Valley. It appears that a groomer working on the night of the fire was the one who spotted the smoke and called the fire department. The article also seems to imply that the smoke detectors had dead batteries and/or were not working properly.

I was also interested in the deeper reporting about Nordic Valley. MCP does NOT own it. They are OPERATING IT for the same owners who had taken it over way back when I visited in 2014 or 2015--some French company named "Skyline Base". That company is still quite involved in the long-term plans and wants to build a big real estate development (surprise, surprise). A spokesperson discussed how this fire has no forced them to accelerate their plans for a new base building.

And the Apollo Double is still not working and is depicted with its haul rope "tied off" to allow for repair work to continue. It is long time to replace that lift.

2planks2coasts

MCP isn't having a good season. Hesperus isn't going to open at all as their main lift is out of service as well.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm starting to wonder about the viability of MCP as a company. They just bought Valle Nevado and took control of Sandia Peak, but they announced that Hesperus won't open for 24-25.
My thoughts as well. I heard MCP’s CEO on a podcast and he sounded like a cool guy. But with the news about Hesperus and the complete shitshow at Nordic I have to wonder if they have now overextended themselves. The Valle Nevado is a HUGE resort on its own.

As to Nordic, they’ve already rebuilt it at least once. Hiring “experts” to rebuild it again does not change the initial problem—IT’S OVER 50 YEARS OLD! Every season at least one kid falls out of a chair because there are no safety bars. It needed to be replaced 10 years ago. Building a multi-million dollar six pack and trail pod completely isolated from the rest of the area and requiring a ride on a now broken double or snowmobile is asinine.

Here’s an article about Hesperus. The decision to just not open seems pretty vague. I’d think having it as a going-interest would be important. Any resort closed for more than one season is hard to reopen.