• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 1/24/05

Zand

Date(s) Skied: 1/24/05

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions: Packed Powder

Trip Report:

Well, today had a lot of good and bad. We arrived at 11 AM and found the place jam packed as they were already sending cars to the lower lot. That was my first time parking down there since the Christmas Blizzard in 2002. It was also the most crowded day I've ever experienced at Wachusett. Lift lines often exceeded 20 minutes. Oddly, the lodge was pretty empty and it was easy to find a seat.

Conifer/Lower Balance Rock: Packed Powder the whole way except for ice after the first road. A bit bumpy later in the day. Balance Rock was all right, but it was a little too icy and bare for my liking.

10th/Salamander: Great in the morning, but a little scraped late. Salamander was like Balance Rock except it was forming a few bumps. Great air on Lower 10th after the connection with Conifer.

Smith: Headwall was scraped, but the rest was awesome. If only the wind would subside for once, maybe the snow would stay put, but there always has to be wind after a big dump.

Ralph's Run: Same as usual. Still some whales left, but not nearly as much air there as Friday. Maybe the most uncrowded trail of the day, which isn't saying much, but...

Challenger: Easily the run of the day. Great packed powder the whole way down, lots of places to get air, VERY fast, and smooth. Probably the best I've seen it all year.

Look Mom: The terrain park is great, but the halfpipe was still being fixed up. At the top, I was gonna do a quick in and out in the woods, but before I even got in I got stuck in waist deep snow. Good stuff.

Tis all for today. I'll have another report Friday.Only 3 weeks till I'm at Cannon.