• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 11/26/05

Zand

Date(s) Skied: 11/26/05 (Night)

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain, MA

Conditions: Mainly scraped, powder to sides

Trip Report:

Very interesting night tonight. A lot of weird stuff going on up there, so let's get down to brass tacks. First, Ollie's opened today. I didn't bother, but it did get a lot of use. It didn't keep the novices off of the other 2 trails though.

Conifer: Upper was all ice in the middle, with great powder and bump lines off to the sides where they didn't groom. Skiing the middle was a death wish and the only control was some random bumps every now and then. There were a bunch of whales and mini-whales in random places as well. It was very interesting tonight. It was a lot of fun, but damn well a death wish. Polar Express was running SLOW at first (almost as slow as a fixed-grip) but they cranked it up to full speed which gave quicker rides, but put more people on Conifer.

Challenger: Only took a few runs on it. It was a lot like Conifer except the trail is less-steep so you weren't flying down hitting random bumps and otherwise ice.

So, overall, a very weird night on the hill. Would I do it again? Yes. Do I want conditions that are a little more sane? Yes. I never knew using people as trees and skiing fast on ice with bumps all over the place was this fun, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I'll be back up there in the spring conditions Monday.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Glad I didn't go, I wouldn't want to test the shoulder out in scraped off, icy conditions. I will wait for WAWA until it gets a little better.

Zand

Yea, I called it skiing "Cannon Style" tonight, particularly Middle-Cannon Bypass. For some reason, it was a lot of fun. Since I had experienced the conditions a few times before, I could do it, but I can't imagine it was fun for most of the people. I spilled twice just trying to stop. I'd try to dig in my edges and my legs just came out from under me and I went down.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Oh, is that all...packed powder? You made it sound like it was all ice, not packed powder.
I bet it was a zoo there though! I don't like it when there are only 2 trails and all the wannabe's think they need to head to the most difficult one open and proceed to ski it in a flying wedge or board it in a constant sideslip with a couple, sort of, turns to slip the other way. That is what scrapes it off. WAWA is well known for it's WILD boarders who scrape everything down and it's flying wedgers.

My Volkl's would have handled the condition!