• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett SUNDAY!

RISkier

We went last year on either the first or second day. Just wanted to get some turns in but certainly very limited. I recall Conifer being very scraped and slick. Bottom line, the weather last fall was just not cooperative. There were some good snows but everything got wiped out by rain. Can't really blame the ski areas for not wanting to blow a lot of early season snow. Hopefully, we can avoid most of the heavy rain this fall.

Zand

I've been watching the webcam for about the last 2 hours and in that time a TON of workers showed up. They tested the Polar Express and 8 people went up. They turned off the guns early, but it looks like they have enough to groom out a base. They were also putting something up with a crane over between the rental building and the lodge. they still haven't updated the snow report, but things are looking like a go for tomorrow.

UPDATE: Minuteman Express now being tested and there are about 30+ employees around the base and they appear to be training. I'm still waiting for them to update the snow report, which I'm estimating to arrive at around 2:30 or 3:00 this afternoon. Challenger appears to be a bit short on snow currently, but there will be some more snowmaking tonight. Conifer looks ready. Grooming hasn't started yet, it'll probably happen tonight or first thing tomorrow morning. I'm currently at 5 miles SW of the mountain in Rutland and the temp is 42, so some softening may occur today. The lows tonight should be in the mid-20s on the mountain. There was no snowmaking at all on Ollie's or 10th last night, just Conifer and Challenger. I'll update again when it's necessary.

Zand

The morons blew it.

I won't go into detail, but Wachusett made the same stupid mistake as last year. IDIOTS! And they haven't updated the site either, so it still falsely claims 11/20 for opening.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Zand said:
I've been watching the webcam for about the last 2 hours and in that time a TON of workers showed up.

Whoa... :blink: you are really bored. It was a nice day to get outside...guess you were 'video stalking them,' eh? :lol:

The morons blew it.

I won't go into detail, but Wachusett made the same stupid mistake as last year. IDIOTS!

So they are not opening then? :( Sorry to hear.

Zand

I hope they get a lot of hate mail for it. I've already sent them 2 E-Mails and a phone call. None have been returned (one was last night, so they definitely should've written back today). But, seriously, the least they could do is update the snow report to tell everyone they screwed up.

thetrailboss

Staff member
WHAT is this screw up???? From what I saw...there was not much snow at all that had been made.

Zand

I drove by and both trails were covered perfectly. The base was a bit scetchy, but they wasted some snow over by Ollie's instead of putting more guns around the bottoms of the lifts. Conifer had plenty and Challenger had enough that they could have opened it with a couple more hours of snowmaking which they could've easily had if they didn't quit so early this morning. They were off before 8 AM and it was still cold enough for snowmaking through 10 AM. Not to mention yesterday, it was cold enough by 3 PM (they had ONE gun on at the base at 3, where were the rest?) and they waited till 5:30.

They also wasted a ton of snow with this. A big rainstorm of about 3" is forecasted to come through Tuesday which will surely wash away just about all of this. They also got everyone's hopes up like last year by saying they're probably opening early, and then not update that statement at all for over a day and counting.

They could be open, and they should be open. There was nothing to lose, but now they're just gonna lose 2+ nights of snowmaking. If Juminy can open tomorrow with the exact same amount of snowmaking hours, Wawa should be able to too.

BTW, if they were gonna open tomorrow, they'd be snowmaking and grooming right now. It's 27 here, and I can only imagine that Wachusett, which is 5 miles NE of my current location and at a LOWER, colder elevation, is the same. It's cold enough to put in the finishing touches. They also need to groom everything, which it's probably too late for now.

Skierman

Yeah, your right. I still think if they started making snow right now then they would still ba able to open tomorrow. I just sent an email. I dont know why they arent, they can be weird sometimes...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Zand said:
I drove by and both trails were covered perfectly. The base was a bit scetchy, but they wasted some snow over by Ollie's instead of putting more guns around the bottoms of the lifts. Conifer had plenty and Challenger had enough that they could have opened it with a couple more hours of snowmaking which they could've easily had if they didn't quit so early this morning.

Odd. :blink:

They were off before 8 AM and it was still cold enough for snowmaking through 10 AM. Not to mention yesterday, it was cold enough by 3 PM (they had ONE gun on at the base at 3, where were the rest?) and they waited till 5:30.

OK, well, you have to remember that the temperature/humidity could have changed such that it was not worth blowing snow. Also they may not have had the manpower ready to move.

They also got everyone's hopes up like last year by saying they're probably opening early, and then not update that statement at all for over a day and counting.

We've been through this...the report clearly states:
Wachusett said:
Rumor has it....We may be open as soon as Sunday 11/20.
[Emphasis Added]

This is certainly not an indication that they were going to open and I certainly wouldn't bet on that langauge...

They could be open, and they should be open. There was nothing to lose, but now they're just gonna lose 2+ nights of snowmaking. If Juminy can open tomorrow with the exact same amount of snowmaking hours, Wawa should be able to too.

BTW, if they were gonna open tomorrow, they'd be snowmaking and grooming right now. It's 27 here, and I can only imagine that Wachusett, which is 5 miles NE of my current location and at a LOWER, colder elevation, is the same. It's cold enough to put in the finishing touches. They also need to groom everything, which it's probably too late for now.

I don't know what to say... :( I guess I have become numb to the disappointments that NE weather can deal one...I'm just looking forward to skiing up here soon! :beer: You can always go to Jimminy...I imagine that it is not too expensive and Crotched is opening as well.

Zand

Jiminy is charging $30, whereas Wachusett would've charged no more than $15. Jiminy is too far away for tomorrow as is Crotched.

EDIT: Some lights are now on that weren't on earlier and there's action at the base (no snowmaking yet) so maybe there's hope.

Zand

OK, I called the mountain this morning and talked directly to customer service. They apologized for quitting on today (that's exactly how they described it) but I was assured that they will go to every length to make sure they open Friday because the weather forecast looks very promising after Tuesday. She didn't know why they quit today, but she said they did it probably for 2 reasons. The first is that they didn't want to open for 2 days, close for 2, and then re-open again. She also said they probably wanted to be closed on Thanksgiving to avoid the potentially huge crowds. I asked on pricing for Friday and she said if it's just Conifer and Challenger, it'll probably be $15. The prices would start going up if more trails and lifts were open.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Zand said:
OK, I called the mountain this morning and talked directly to customer service. They apologized for quitting on today (that's exactly how they described it) but I was assured that they will go to every length to make sure they open Friday because the weather forecast looks very promising after Tuesday. She didn't know why they quit today, but she said they did it probably for 2 reasons. The first is that they didn't want to open for 2 days, close for 2, and then re-open again. She also said they probably wanted to be closed on Thanksgiving to avoid the potentially huge crowds. I asked on pricing for Friday and she said if it's just Conifer and Challenger, it'll probably be $15. The prices would start going up if more trails and lifts were open.

I can understand their business POV. Quite honestly they would lose money because you and many others who would flock there would be passholders. So no $$$ spent on tix. Second, why spend the money to open for two, well in reality, ONE real good day (today) and lose money on those days, and then spend MORE money to reopen again?

I again want to discuss their language in the snowreport. It was extremely conditional and was probably put in place to gauge interest in opening...maybe their phones and E-mails were not clogged so they surmised not much interest and bagged it. They walk a fine-line in marketing--do we tell the truth and disappoint people (we MAY open as soon as...) or do we not say anything at all and run the risk of being able to open and not having anyone up here? It is a tough place for them to be...especially when we die-hards are ready to go...

That all said...I can understand how you feel and certainly I can see how you feel betrayed. :( It is a fine line that they run and there is a small portion of their fan base who are extremely upset right now...the majority either (a) didn't care, or (b) didn't get it. I'm sure of more people reacted the outcome would be different or they would be more careful.

It's like being a Red Sox fan :roll: :wink:

Zand

Our projected opening day is for the day after Thanksgiving 11/25. COME ON UP AND ENJOY THE SKIING AND RIDING!!!

They updated the site and opening day is back to Friday as projected. Things are looking good weather-wise after Tuesday, so it should happen this time. Snowmaking should start Tuesday Night as temps sre forecasted to be in the low-20s with snow showers. Wednesday, we may never see freezing so snowmaking should continue. Thursday should bring up to 6" of natural snow and temps in the mid-30s, but right down into the 20s overnight and that's where it'll stay for highs with intermittent snow squalls through the weekend.

cubco

'Dozer?

Man! I knew it; they'll let anyone in here! There goes the neighborhood.[/b]