• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

what would you rename?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
HA! yea, total joke thread here resulting from the other one. which topographical feature or geographical landmark in the whites would you rename?

i like them all the way they are and wouldn't change anything, but do think the name mount martha is kinda lame. cherry isn't much of an improvement either and having two owl's heads so close together can be confusing too. that whole ridge needs some help with identity!

a lot of cascades/falls/cataracts in the whites have identity problems too, but i appreciate the historical naming of them and happily tolerate some real understatements and overstatements :)

okay, let em' rip :lol:

Jaytrek57

The heck with mountains, cascades, rivers, etc...

I think they should rename (renumber) all the exits on the Maine Turnpike...I mean it wouldn't be that confusing. Not like you would have to waste money on dozens of "formely" signs.

Wait a second.... :wink:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Actually, since the net effect was that the road used to have more than one exit with the same exit number (like exit #1, both Kittery and someplace else), this made really good sense. I drove all the way to Millinocket and really liked it.

I would find some forgettable little peak and rename it for Reagan...

T

trailbiscuit

Using the original Native American names for peaks and such is one possibility.

Charlie Schuessler

The re-labeling of exit ramp along Route 95/Maine Turnpike is helpful to the traveling public. It makes it easier to gauge time vs. distance.

However renaming mountains for politicians is not helpful to the relatively few people (as compared to highway travelers) that enjoy the outdoors.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
nice call trailbiscuit! again, i'm not for changing names that have been solidified on a map. BUT, it would be cool if someone could publish a map with the old forgotten names, especially indian ones on each peak.

Max

I'd like to officially change my birth name ( ___________ ) to my nickname (Max). I dread the paperwork! :-?

Max

TenPeaks

MichaelJ said:
And Max brings about memories of the Simpsons...

So nobody got my joke, eh? Or were you all too polite to comment?
:D

Homer: "I changed my name to Max Power. I read it on a hair dryer."

I got the joke! :D

M

mryan

i think that, in the name of political correctness, the traditional naming of mountains and other natural elements after politicians should be done away with. change the name to reagan and liberals, which i would assume make up the majority of the hard core hikers, would maybe shy away from it. what liberal wants to be associated with reagan and his conservative policies? i was going to hike up jefferson when suddenly i remembered something: here i was at the monument of an admitted slaveholder. disgusted, i turned back, never to try it again. and what conservative would be caught dead visiting mt. adams, that shrine to liberalism?

i think that perhaps we should revert to a numerical naming system. washington, being the tallest, would be A1 and adams, being in the same range but second tallest, would be A2. Just an idea; albeit a stupid one.

cheers.

SilentCal

I read somewhere that two mountains in Colorado were renamed Mt. Columbia and Mt. Challenger after the two shuttles that were lost. I'm not sure if those mountains previously had names but I think that this type of re-naming of mountains is appropriate. I'd say rename Southwest Twin as Mt. Columbia and Northwest Hancock as Mt. Challenger. Could a Mt. 9/11 be next?

Jaytrek57

mryan-

Let me see if I have this straight.

You wouldn't climb/hike a particular mountain b/c of it's name? You turned away on Mt. Jefferson b/c of HIS history?

That will show them. :blink:

T

trailbiscuit

Jaytrek57 said:
I shall name it...."Mount Nancy Reagan"!

That's just gross! :blink:

Are we getting off topic?

But seriously, the whole changing names of places is really unnecessary. Plus, for Reagan, I would recommend a small unnamed waterfall in honor of his trickle down economics.

Stephen

Website
www.dunhom.com
We'll rename the fall as long as we redirect all of the white's rivers into Lake Winnepesauke and rename it Social Programs Pool in honor of the democrat's tax policy. :p