• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's your maximum one-way day trip range?

powhunter

The longest I ever did was tux. Drove four hours hiked @ 3 hours skied @ 40 mins then drove back 4 hrs...My body was totally seized when we got back....

steve

4aprice

For myself:

Day trip - 3hrs. That would include The Pocono's, The Catskills and the Berkshires (as far north as Jiminy Peak).

2 day Weekend - 6hrs. Includes upper NY State, Most of Vermont and New Hampshire.

Anything more then 2 days - 8hrs. Gets me to Sunday River Maine, my driving limit.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

deadheadskier

Staff member
Pretty much 3 hours, but I like to keep it under 2. I prefer the skiing in Northern VT, but if conditions are equal, I'll do a day trip to Wildcat instead. At some point, it's not just time, but the extra mileage and gas expense that I need to justify. Is Mountain A really that much more worth it to spend an extra hour on either side of the trip and $15 in gas than Mountain B? Two seasons ago when I was a pass holder for Sunday River and Sugarloaf while living in Portland, I went to SR 16 times versus 2 for Sugarloaf having that argument with myself.

The most I've done is Windham which is 3.5 hours..this past weekend at Killington was the first time I drove to VT for only one day of skiing..but I stayed over one night..Ideally I prefer 2 days of skiing and 2 nights of lodging for southern Vermont and 3+ days for northern Vermont..

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
The most I've done is Windham which is 3.5 hours..this past weekend at Killington was the first time I drove to VT for only one day of skiing..but I stayed over one night..Ideally I prefer 2 days of skiing and 2 nights of lodging for southern Vermont and 3+ days for northern Vermont..

i have done a bunch of trips to stowe where i drive up the night before, ride the next day, then head home after a halfday the next day.

playoutside

Have done 3.5, but think I wouldn't again. The drive home just seems to be too risky to me now; I'm too tired to truly drive home safely after getting up early and skiing all day.

Prefer to keep it under 2.5. Lucky to have enough inexpensive lodging connections, that I can turn most trips into 2-3 day adventures instead.

Zand

Trip to K today was 3 hours. I actually found it quite easy and short and would do it quite a bit.

sledhaulingmedic

I've done several RT day trips to Saddleback. Always for epic conditions. Once, in a nasty storm (sleet/freezing NCP down south,snow way North) it was 9 hours of driving.

I travel less these days, but Saddleback is worth it for good conditions.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
The most I've done was 5.5 each way...... but that was a long time ago and I cannot do that anymore! Now it is when I trek to Sugarloaf and it takes 3.5 roughly, 3 if the weather/traffic is perfect.

frozencorn

Like to keep it 3 or under each way for day trips (which really only gets me as far as Killington, or anything southern VT) but if the situation dictates, ie big snow, discount tickets, I'll push it to 4.

ctenidae

3 hours is pushing the top end, but 4 is really the max. Total drive time has to approximate ski time, and it all has to fit within 13 hours so the dog doesn't get his legs permanenetly crossed.

tequiladoug

Website
www.douglas1.com
longest I've done recently was around 3 hours to Okemo, and almost that to Killington...but that was on a bus.

As far as driving normally no more then 2 but that gets me to: Hunter, Windham, Jiminy Peak, Gore, Stratton, Snow, Magic, Plattekill, & Bromley

campgottagopee

2 hrs here---to Gore and back--don't do that a lot only if hookin up with some pals---just not a fan of driving

Phillycore

3.5 here....

Although K-ton was 5:45-6 (770 miles R/T) this past weekend with Steeze and A Jeff and only skied yesterday.. Drove 100% myself both ways
Left Sat noon..... back home Sun a few ticks past 8pm (did hotel it in between sat-sun)

rocojerry

day-trip sugarloaf

the most i've driven is about 4 planned hours each way...

Jan 07 I made it up midweek to Sugarloaf just for the day, and it was fantastic...

I like the idea of spending more time on the slopes than in the car, but I also sometimes day trip because of mid-week powder dumps and I have not once regretted it.