• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When you grow/grew up

noski

Some great stuff here- really thoughtful and thought-provoking. I am fortunate our daughter has known since 5th grade she wanted to be in the medical field, and is now headed to Paramedic school in the fall. I did not go to college, despite graduating 13th of 120- I just didn't know what I wanted to do. I worked in low wage jobs for a while until I landed in the Mad River Valley. I am really happy living here and doing what I can in, and for, my community.

I went west of Plattsburgh once- (last fall). I don't get out much, and don't really have the urge to wander.

Thanks for taking the time to make such thoughtful comments.

noski
HS class 1979

Grassi21

I fear that if I went back to change any aspect of my life I wouldn't be where/who I am today. College helped me learn how to manage my life (budget, schedules etc) and Yoga is helping me become a kinder, more thoughtful person. Lessons in life come from all angles, hopefully we can remain open enough to learn them.

SkiDog

Many people shared the same idea about college that it helped learn time management and things like that...I never went to college and I manage my time tremendously well I think...

I think that the education costs today are soo high...thats a tough sell for learning "time management"..the only "time management" i learned in my short time in college was how to manage to do more drinking than studying.... LOL

:D

M

Vortex

SkiDog said:
Many people shared the same idea about college that it helped learn time management and things like that...I never went to college and I manage my time tremendously well I think...

I think that the education costs today are soo high...thats a tough sell for learning "time management"..the only "time management" i learned in my short time in college was how to manage to do more drinking than studying.... LOL

:D

M

I missed very few parties. That was my time management.:idea:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
ChileMass said:
For me, college was less about the academics per se than about learning time management and project management skills.
this is dead on and why so many jobs require a degree. often times, it doesn't even matter what the degree is in, the company or what ever just wants to know that you can hack it. that you have computer skills, presentation skills, and writing skills and can meet deadlines and commitments and make a schedule and stick with it. of course, some jobs really do require the exact knowledge learned in a major. but for a good many jobs, any four year degree will do (and do be sure it is a four year degree. going after a 2 degree if that is all you can do is fine, but you will always be passed over for the person that went for a full four year... if they were lucky, degree).

as others have mentioned, the social aspects of college and general life learning is just as, if not more important, than the academics. i am fond of saying that i learned more outside of the classroom than inside of the classroom at college. regardless of where i am or what happened, i definitely wouldn't change going to college and highly recommend everyone make an effort to go that route if possible... unless you plan on working in a skilled trade in which on the job experience is more valuable.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
riverc0il said:
but for a good many jobs, any four year degree will do (and do be sure it is a four year degree. going after a 2 degree if that is all you can do is fine, but you will always be passed over for the person that went for a full four year... if they were lucky, degree).

I would not say "always" or even mostly. I agree in general and especially for lower level positions that degrees are important. However, I find that a candidate's experience and attitude have a lot more impact on the hiring process. I have more than once come across a high school grad who had people with masters degrees working for them.

thetrailboss

Staff member
noski said:
My daughter graduated high school today which got me thinking.... and it is sort of two questions for old farts like me:
1. You have just graduated HS, and if you had it to do over again, would you take a different direction? (listen up Austin)

I would have taken Arabic or a foreign language at Middlebury. Would have also spoken up more in class. I also am still debating if I would have spent that full year in Scotland or come home after one semester.

2. As an adult, did you grow up to become what you had planned at 18?

Still working on that one.....things are more difficult in real life than seen from the age of 18. Got to "play the game" I guess.

bigbog

...As a HS grad of 1972, the "different" avenues of interest to choose from...that I have made in my life since...simply didn't even exist. When your so-called parents don't want to be parents....and your school-system had the energy education & life...of a prison:lol: ...you just want to get out on your own and learn new/more things, meet new places and people. Sticking by that regimen beats anything Washington or WallStreet has tried to tell us we should be.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
YardSaleDad said:
I would not say "always" or even mostly. I agree in general and especially for lower level positions that degrees are important. However, I find that a candidate's experience and attitude have a lot more impact on the hiring process. I have more than once come across a high school grad who had people with masters degrees working for them.

Yea... you know what they say about management...

well, nevermind.

noski

bigbog said:
...As a HS grad of 1972, the "different" avenues of interest to choose from...that I have made in my life since...simply didn't even exist. When your so-called parents don't want to be parents....and your school-system had the energy education & life...of a prison:lol: ...you just want to get out on your own and learn new/more things, meet new places and people. Sticking by that regimen beats anything Washington or WallStreet has tried to tell us we should be.
You bring up a good point. In the 70s, computers were not what they are now- and the potential was undreamed. Our school didn't have any type of computer course. In fact we learned typing on manual typerwriters and had to be proficient with them before we moved up to the IBM Selectric with the cool wheel. I loved the Selectric- the key action was perfect. Not like pc keyboards at all.

Fe Nunez

noski said:
My daughter graduated high school today which got me thinking.... and it is sort of two questions for old farts like me:
1. You have just graduated HS, and if you had it to do over again, would you take a different direction? (listen up Austin)

2. As an adult, did you grow up to become what you had planned at 18?

answer #1, #2, or both.

I choose #1:I have been out of HS for 25+ years. I did not go to college, but wish I had done that and become a school teacher.

1.Yes,I would take a different direction.I should be a doctor.
2.No .