• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Why ISO 9000 sucks: an essay by Marc

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Ok, it's not really an essay.

Today and tomorrow I got roped into a training course for doing ISO 9000/9001 audits.

Good God is it boring. Usually our corporate training is well done and at least about something interesting. This = teh suck.

The whole 8 am - 6 pm day thing made it worse. I need to get some Homer glasses and sleep through tomorrow.

ChileMass

Ouch!!! As the former Director of Marketing for a major ISO9000 registrar, I sympathize. It's a dead-end standard whose best days were 15-20 years ago. The only benefit is that if you become an auditor and build up enough hours and expertise in the various versions of ISO9000 (AS9100, ISO14001, ISO13485, TS16949, TL9000, etc) you could go to work as an independent auditor and make your own schedule. My old company probably pays $600-700/day plus expenses for their contract auditors. But the downside is they will try to schedule you as many days as possible travelling each month (like 20-22 days/month).

And the places you might go could be anything from a plush semiconductor or pharma facility in the next town to an auto crusher in Akron. Back in the day, I got to hang out with corporate bigwigs and they treated us like kings. But then the market got saturated and it was over in a few years. The worst place I ever went was an asphalt shingle factory in Portland, OR. I spent the whole day trying not to get tar on my best suit.

Unless you like travel and spending time with quality geeks, take the class, get your merit raise for completing it, and never pick it up again. But, your company will probably want to make you an internal auditor at least.

And get some toothpicks for your eyes.

If you want to discuss privately, PM me.

knuckledragger

Look I worked for a company that got around all that crap by buying a company in England, shipping product over there and repackaging.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Boring. I didn't get all that much out of the class except an outline of what 9000/9001 is all about.

Def. not cut out for full time auditing business. The instructor was knowledgable but a bit obnoxious. I did pick up a few tips for doing our first facilities and procedures audits but I the class was excruciating.

Statistics, auditing... all this money in these eye crossingly boring jobs. Clearly becaues no one wants to do them.

schneidej9

The Internet provides the best providers of academic writing services that can help students correct deficiencies in a confidential manner. All of them are highly rated and can meet the needs of students. Over the past couple of decades, the demand for academic writing has become more pronounced.