• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat 01/0607

jack97

Date Skied 01/06/07 – 8:40 to 2:45pm
Ski Area: Wildcat, Pinkham Notch NH
Conditions: Variable surface conditions. Morning light rain, afternoon intermittent showers.
Trip Report: Friday night, the web site said that they did not groom middle catapult, I decided make the trip up north instead of hanging around locally. It was a steady light rain while driving in white mountain area. Got in around 8:15 and the parking lot had about twenty to thirty cars.

I was basically doing laps from the tomcat triple to middle catapult, after the bumps, they had three to four trails open going back to the base. Morning conditions was fast in some spot and wet snow in others, some frozen granular was starting to soften up. You can see the fog coming up from the snow itself in some trails. The bumps in middle catapult was a little slick and crusty, maybe it was the fact it was my first time on bumps this season but it took me a couple of runs to get my timing back on track. Also a couple of bear spots hidden by the bumps definitely broke my rhythm. The temps and sun soften them by mid morning. The groom sections held up and really soften up by the afternoon, there was some bare spots but no slush. The only thing that worries me is the base, large sections of puddles going to the tomcat triple. Hopefully, the colder temps will come in will allow the snow guns to cover up these areas.

A great time, my legs are sore from the bumps and variable conditions.