• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Trip Out West

ChileMass

Angus - have fun in UT. My intent was to point out the positives and negatives for each. UT can definitely be cheaper if you get a flight that is as cheap as the many going to DIA. My point is that the extra cost of flying to SLC can outweigh the advantage of cheaper lodging. In any case - don't overlook Snow Basin. Had one of my favorite days ever in Strawberry Bowl there a few years ago. Avoid Deer Valley or the Canyons - it's mostly 5-star stuff you won;t need your first time in UT. As someone said, Solitude is supposed to be terrific - the locals (like my other brother in law in Ogden) go there a lot to avoid the tourists.

In any case - I just really like Summit County. I prefer it to Utah. Breckenridge is SO much fun and A-Basin and Copper are the freakin' bomb. I've been to Silverthorne probably 8 times since 1988 (been to UT twice), and every time we have so much fun in Summit County that we've never even made it the 30 miles to Vail in all those trips. Maybe one day.....

Hey - have fun. :beer:

loafer89

I just finished making all of my arangements for Keystone and because we have rented a car we can ski at A-Basin, Keystone, Breckenridge, Vail and Beaver Creek if we wish with the four day passes that I puchased.

It's been 15 years (March 1992) since I was last in Summit County and I wonder how much it has changed since then. The new airport (for me) sounds exciting as my last flight to Colorado (1993) was to Stapelton.

I can hardly wait to show my son the Front Range and the Ten mile range, they are beautiful.

tirolerpeter

Winter trip west.

There is really no point in arguing about what is best in the west. I have never had a bad day of skiing anywhere I went out west. The thing to do, is to TRY THEM ALL!

FRITOLAYGUY

Hey Loaf, i dont even know if youll remember where Stapleton was but its now a new community of about 30K people with malls and shops, you would have never even know there was an airport there a decade ago..